Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
mSATA Life Failure w/ Dashboard 2.5.2 and Firmware 3.0.7
05-22-2013, 11:42 AM
RE: mSATA Life Failure w/ Dashboard 2.5.2 and Firmware 3.0.7
Zathrak, you are an amazing human being for having stuck with Drobo after all it's put you through. Most people in your shoes would have thrown their hands in the air long ago and stomped off to some other vendor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Lol, you know...I've heard that a few times now from a number of people. I'm not sure what keeps me here at this point, tbh.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
05-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure why an SSD having limited lifespan of writes is a novel concept. I'd still point the finger at Crucial as ~3000 write cycles is a more common average, and 72TB of writes for a 64GB SSD is more in the neighborhood of ~1000. Then again, as the transistors shrink they become more susceptible to wear damage over time.

But I know none of this will matter, because no matter what's happening it's going to be Drobo's fault. You know, because it's convenient.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
05-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Nothing about my having to argue with Crucial for 3 days on behalf of Drobo has been convenient. Nor is it convenient that Drobo releases software and firmware that just happens to prompt failure in multiple users' mSATA drives. So yeah, you're correct in stating that non of that will matter. Additionally, a limited lifespan on SSDs in general is not a novel concept. However, a 6 month lifespan is fairly atypical for an SSD unless I'm mistaken.

None of this is to say that Crucial can't take some blame, but Drobo's track record is very well against itself.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
05-22-2013, 02:11 PM
SMART status BAD Sad

How are your temperatures these days Zathrak? Drobo, not mental (mine would be pretty hot). Wink

I'm wondering if heat could yet again be a contributing factor.
...says the guy who accidentally left his laptop on a pillow and "cooked" the RAM...

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
05-22-2013, 02:35 PM
lol - mentally it's ok. Thermally, I've been unmounting the volume every morning so that it doesn't run (without spinning down) needlessly all day every day. The unmount seems to let the Drobo spin down after some time usually (not always). When I need it, I mount it again.

Based on the fact that my drive bays melted under normal conditions, I'd have to assume that heat is very much a factor...heh. :-)

Zathrak

05-22-2013, 04:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2013 05:22 PM by rdo.)
(05-22-2013 11:17 AM)Zathrak Wrote:  According to Crucial tech support, "All consumer SSD products that they sell have a total write lifetime capacity of 72TB."
In any case, I find it interesting that Drobo selected this mSATA as an officially supported drive without mentioning (or knowing) that it can only be used up to 72TB of write data. Surely someone would have asked about this?

My first reaction after reading this was that Micron is just ducking the warranty.
Then I found the Data Sheet on their web site.
Micron Wrote:Endurance: Total bytes written (TBW) - 36TB
This means that their 64MB part has a design life of 576 write cycles, which is really poor. (Their 256MB part has a life of 288 cycles!)

If Micron declares you are outside of the warranty terms, they must be willing to submit evidence. You could ask them where they see how much data has been written. That might let other Drobo owners see whether they're heading for trouble too.

As you say, Drobo should be aware of this sort of situation before they certify a component. They might decertify "consumer-grade" mSATA SSDs if data tiering requires higher quality flash.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
05-22-2013, 04:56 PM
This is highly interesting. Many thanks for this rdo!

Zathrak

05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
Well, this thread prompted me to look up the info on the Intel 525.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pub...http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-525-specifi

Of relevance to the discussion is the section that says:
Minimum useful life under typical client workloads with up to 20 GB of host writes per day. (30GB model): 3 years.
Other capacities: 5 years.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
05-23-2013, 07:13 AM
(05-22-2013 09:00 PM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  Well, this thread prompted me to look up the info on the Intel 525.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pub...http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-specifications/ssd-525-specifi

Of relevance to the discussion is the section that says:
Minimum useful life under typical client workloads with up to 20 GB of host writes per day. (30GB model): 3 years.
Other capacities: 5 years.

Correct me if my sleep-deprived math is wrong, but doesn't that come out to a measly ~20TB? Eek.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash