Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
read/write performance disparity
02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: read/write performance disparity
hi rph,
now that you have taken some readings using different programs, i think a good starting point would be to now have a think about whether you are actually happy enough with the speed and usage of your drobo... if you are, then its probably not worth reformatting?

(you could still close all programs and do some filesystem maintenance checks such as chkdsk on windows from time to time, or disk utility/disk warrior though)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Hi Paul,

Yes, I've actually been pretty happy with the Drobo which has served purely as a storage device for my media content. But my latest addition of storing my music on there now which I do regularly access day to day, rather than the odd movie or TV show has made me think otherwise.

I might do disk utility a go, just because transferring all the data out would be super inconvenient and risky! Thanks for the tips.
02-18-2016, 03:29 PM
ok sure, please let us know how it goes

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
03-19-2016, 11:11 AM
Seeing same thing here - 100-140 MBps writes and 25 MBps reads. Awful. iMac via TB, OSX 10.11.3.
03-21-2016, 09:27 AM
btw stoovie, what happens if you try using just usb? is there any change?

04-26-2016, 07:19 PM
Sorry to interrupt the current convo going on but I am also having some speed issues. Win 10, Drobo 5D, USB 3.0. I have a USB 2.0 external drive running faster than this Drobo.

If you guys have any suggestions or tips please let me know. Thank you for your time.

Ran CrystalDisk and this was my result:
[Image: 23ua7wm.png]
04-27-2016, 12:53 PM
hi kcray,
can i check how much used and free space you have on the drobo, including for any volumes/drive letters you have?

there may also be some antivirus, or windows search indexing options you could tweak - i always disable windows search and use another tool called cathy on my drobos

04-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Paul,

I have 3.5TB free on the Drobo. The Drobo is attached to a Windows 10 PC via USB 3.0 with a SSD that has 194GB free on that.

I do not have any antivirus installed on this machine. I will look into Cathy, is this like a windows explorer alternative?

Thank you for taking the time to address my issue, I appreciate it.
04-27-2016, 01:32 PM
ah no worries, cathy is made by r vasicek and does have a few features similar to explorer, but its a very quick search tool though does take some time to create the 1st catalogue depending on how many files you have. (it has some limits especially if you play a lot of games using tiny graphics files, but its good) once you find a file you can double click or right click it and even browse the whole tree, but if you make lots of changes then its good to refresh the catalogue from time to time - i usually refresh it once a month or when needed, and usually just before i start cooking some food or making a tea Smile