Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Decisions decisions . . .
05-07-2013, 08:53 AM
RE: Decisions decisions . . .
(btw heres sky's link) without a full stop:
https://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/639

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2013, 10:22 AM
(04-29-2013 10:49 AM)Sky Wrote:  If the 5D is connected via Thunderbolt, it may actually be faster than the boot drive. In our live demo benchmark, we generally see around 200 MB/s write and 300 MB/s read. The same benchmark on the Mac Mini's boot drive that we run the demo from is around 90 - 100 MB/s write and read. So, you should be able to easily do all editing directly off of the 5D.

Hi Sky. I set up a 5D a couple weeks ago with 5 drives and have it connected via Thunderbolt. I definitely see the 200MB/s writes, but read speeds hover around 25MB/s (slower than the ~30MB/s I'm getting while connected via USB2). Any thoughts on what might be going on? Initial setup was 2 3tb drives, then last week I added 2 640GB and one 750GB drives. I'm seeing 56% free space.

Anecdotally, the far bottom drive is noticeably hotter than any other. Dashboard says all drives are in good shape.
05-08-2013, 10:30 AM
(05-08-2013 10:22 AM)mestanczak Wrote:  
(04-29-2013 10:49 AM)Sky Wrote:  If the 5D is connected via Thunderbolt, it may actually be faster than the boot drive. In our live demo benchmark, we generally see around 200 MB/s write and 300 MB/s read. The same benchmark on the Mac Mini's boot drive that we run the demo from is around 90 - 100 MB/s write and read. So, you should be able to easily do all editing directly off of the 5D.

Hi Sky. I set up a 5D a couple weeks ago with 5 drives and have it connected via Thunderbolt. I definitely see the 200MB/s writes, but read speeds hover around 25MB/s (slower than the ~30MB/s I'm getting while connected via USB2). Any thoughts on what might be going on? Initial setup was 2 3tb drives, then last week I added 2 640GB and one 750GB drives. I'm seeing 56% free space.

Anecdotally, the far bottom drive is noticeably hotter than any other. Dashboard says all drives are in good shape.

Thermally (via IR gun), the bottom drive in my Drobo is almost always around 10 degrees hotter than the rest for no really good reason, especially considering that heat rises, as they say.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
05-08-2013, 10:36 AM
(05-08-2013 10:30 AM)Zathrak Wrote:  Thermally (via IR gun), the bottom drive in my Drobo is almost always around 10 degrees hotter than the rest for no really good reason, especially considering that heat rises, as they say.

That's a relief. I was beginning to fear my shiny new Drobo would end up looking like the picture you posted earlier :-) By the way, what happened to make the bay doors melt like that?
05-08-2013, 10:44 AM
(05-08-2013 10:22 AM)mestanczak Wrote:  I definitely see the 200MB/s writes, but read speeds hover around 25MB/s (slower than the ~30MB/s I'm getting while connected via USB2).

eek, that's not in the marketing material...

are you sure you have everything up to date (firmware, OS, thunderbolt patches, etc)? are you sure you're doing a fair, real-world test and not, perhaps, relying on a flawed synthetic test program?

it's not too often that we write a ton of data, then immediately read it all back, but that's what speed test programs tend to do. perhaps there's some "work" that drobo has to finish before quick reading is viable.

maybe you can do a test where you read some pre-existing data and time it, and calculate your own mb/s from that.
05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
(05-08-2013 10:36 AM)mestanczak Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 10:30 AM)Zathrak Wrote:  Thermally (via IR gun), the bottom drive in my Drobo is almost always around 10 degrees hotter than the rest for no really good reason, especially considering that heat rises, as they say.

That's a relief. I was beginning to fear my shiny new Drobo would end up looking like the picture you posted earlier :-) By the way, what happened to make the bay doors melt like that?

That's still unknown. Drobo tech support was clueless then and 6-7months later, no different. The circumstance in short is that the Mac was shut down overnight, the Drobo 5D was connected via thunderbolt and it must have stayed running all night. When I got up the next morning and checked on it, the bays were melted and I had to set it outside in the 25degree temps for an hour or two.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
05-08-2013, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 10:58 AM by mestanczak.)
(05-08-2013 10:44 AM)dalenorman2005 Wrote:  
(05-08-2013 10:22 AM)mestanczak Wrote:  I definitely see the 200MB/s writes, but read speeds hover around 25MB/s (slower than the ~30MB/s I'm getting while connected via USB2).
maybe you can do a test where you read some pre-existing data and time it, and calculate your own mb/s from that.

Great suggestion. I think my real world experience is matching what the test program tells me, but I'll do some further testing and report back with numbers. Fairly certain the firmware, software, etc are all up to date.
(05-08-2013 10:46 AM)Zathrak Wrote:  That's still unknown. Drobo tech support was clueless then and 6-7months later, no different. The circumstance in short is that the Mac was shut down overnight, the Drobo 5D was connected via thunderbolt and it must have stayed running all night. When I got up the next morning and checked on it, the bays were melted and I had to set it outside in the 25degree temps for an hour or two.

Yikes!
05-09-2013, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2013 09:31 AM by Sky.)
Read speeds are usually faster than writes, so that is really odd. If you submit a support ticket with a diag attached we can make sure there aren't any internal errors, drive errors or slow drives. If you have it daisy-chained or have any other devices using Thunderbolt, you may want to test it with nothing else attached.

Sky
Data Robotics Moderator

Support # 1-866-426-4280
Monday - Thursday 6a-7p PST
Friday and Saturday 6a-12a PST
Sunday 6a-6p PST

Best Practices
http://www.drobo.com/downloads/docs/drob...http://www.drobo.com/downloads/docs/drobobestpra

Knowledge Base
http://www.drobo.com/support/knowledgebase.php
05-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Also try the new thunderbolt update which was just issued. Not for the issue you are having directly but you never know.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1653?viewl...http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1653?viewlocale=en_US&lo
05-12-2013, 02:02 PM
actually just after replying to your other thread mestan, sending support a diagnostics is a good idea, as maybe one of your drives has a problem and ecc errors on reading might be slowing things down, indicating a worsening drive (maybe)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)