Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Decisions decisions . . .
04-27-2013, 05:50 AM
Decisions decisions . . .
Hello. I'm new here, on the verge of confirming my shopping basket of a 5D and 2x3TB drives to start me off, but I have a few questions.

I am a professional photographer looking for a performance system to speed up my editing time and also provide me with the piece of mind that all my clients images are fully backed up. I've used raid before, so understand the basics, but what I'm really looking for is an option to allow me offsite back up.

My thought was that I'd buy a 3rd and 4th 3TB drives, back up onto one and store it off site and each month just update swap them, keeping one no more than 1 month out of date offsite for protection.

Is this possible in the 5D? I don't want the extra drives to provide me with extra raid storage, just as offsite back up . . . . . I've spent weeks searching the net and seem to be missing the useful info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Owen

ps. You all sound like a nice crowd, but I want to point out that I am a real person and not a spammer, so please don't dm me abuse as I've had as a virgin poster on similar forums, it's not nice Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2013, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 08:23 AM by rdo.)
RE: Decisions decisions . . .
Welcome!
The 5D is a great device, but it might not be quite what you expect. I don't know if you'll be pleasantly surprised, or frustrated.

1) The real joy of Drobo is that you can add or upgrade drives for more space as you need it. If you're buying "all the space you need" up front, and won't add another 3TB drive for more capacity each year, then this feature won't help you.

2) Drobo is designed as an automatic "magic RAID box" that does The Reasonable Thing whenever it finds a drive problem or runs low on space. You cannot configure individual drives within it. Your backups will have to be to some other device (I use a BlacX dock for this).

3) For performance, you'll want to also install an mSATA SSD.

4) Install a third hard drive. Dual-disk redundancy is much more reliable than single-disk redundancy. Small drive errors can go unnoticed until some other drive dies, and then, if you have only single redundancy, you lose.
This is true for any RAID system (except ones which use ZFS). Drobo is better than most RAID solutions because it not only does sector scrubbing to proactively find errors (as any good system should), but it also continues to rebuild from disks even after those disks have minor data errors.
(Many RAID systems will remove a disk after just 1 or 2 errors, which is a really nasty problem with RAID that vendors somehow forget to mention in their marketing.)

Actually, I think you will really love the 5D, because it handles a lot of the RAID nonsense automatically and lets you expand whenever you like. Just get an external dock for backups and one more drive for dual-redundancy. If it's not fast enough, then add that mSATA card any time.

P.S. I can't let this go without suggesting CrashPlan for online backups, to supplement your already good drive hockey system. I have plenty of good things to say after years of using and recommending CrashPlan, and nothing bad.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
04-27-2013, 09:10 AM
You're plan sounds quite agreeable. I would suggest that you put three 3TB drives into the Drobo, as RDO suggests. Then, using a 4th &5th 3TB drives in the backup plan as you suggested. Will they be bare drives or External cased drives?

As long as you are backing up the drobo, and your plan sounds good, I agree.
04-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Prior to reading the rest of the posts, my response was simple. Let the Drobo 5D do it's job and use CrashPlan as your offsite insurance. It's less work for you and at $5/mo for unlimited space, it's going to probably even cost you less to do so. This way, if your Drobo melts like mine did, CrashPlan has your back.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
04-29-2013, 08:34 AM
that pictures really going to inspire confidence now Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
04-29-2013, 08:36 AM
HA!!! lmfao ;-)

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
04-29-2013, 08:48 AM
welcome to the boards indeed owen.

for the part of your post where you say this: "performance system to speed up my editing time"
the best performance gains i've had (using other drobos, 1st/2nd generation 4-slots, and drobo-s 5slot), have been when im using the internal fast computer hard drive and working with the files there. Then i save all final data to the drobo.

(i can still do realtime audio captures straight to drobo, even while also using the drobo as source data and destination, and that was on the slowest gen1 Smile so yes it is pretty quick indeed)

but i wouldnt say that using a drobo will always give you a "speed boost" because usually the internal hard drive is quicker, so what i can see working quite well for multimedia stuff, is to keep your source data, photos clips etc, on the drobo, and when you work on a project, copy your project files locally, do all your editing etc and when you finish, you can save the output to drobo.

that, coupled with drobo's inbuilt saftey features, and some kind of offline/online/offsite backups etc and you should be running smoothly.

(i always try to also keep 1 spare hard drive, of a similar type as what im using in a drobo) - as a spare, because if a drive end up going bad, at least that way you can quickly swap it for a good one, rather than waiting days or weeks to get a replacement, assuming you can still get that model number Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
04-29-2013, 08:57 AM
(04-27-2013 09:44 AM)Zathrak Wrote:  Let the Drobo 5D do it's job and use CrashPlan as your offsite insurance.
This is what I'm doing (though I have Drobo S not 5D), largely due to the fine advice of many here.
100 GB done, close to 3 TB to go. Yeah, I know it's going to take months, but I'm on a free year. Smile

I also have a "straight file backup" on USB drive. Never can have too many.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
If the 5D is connected via Thunderbolt, it may actually be faster than the boot drive. In our live demo benchmark, we generally see around 200 MB/s write and 300 MB/s read. The same benchmark on the Mac Mini's boot drive that we run the demo from is around 90 - 100 MB/s write and read. So, you should be able to easily do all editing directly off of the 5D.

Sky
Data Robotics Moderator

Support # 1-866-426-4280
Monday - Thursday 6a-7p PST
Friday and Saturday 6a-12a PST
Sunday 6a-6p PST

Best Practices
http://www.drobo.com/downloads/docs/drob...http://www.drobo.com/downloads/docs/drobobestpra

Knowledge Base
http://www.drobo.com/support/knowledgebase.php
05-03-2013, 03:50 PM
even cooler Smile