Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
06-06-2013, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2013 02:32 PM by Paul.)
RE: Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
hmm just along michaels line of extra memory cards.. maybe this could help:

- if you take your footage using your camera/harware which saves to its memory card.
- and copy the footage onto your laptop computer drive
- and when finished, take out the memory card and swap in a spare
- then you can go to your friends house with just a basic (small) usb memory card reader (they are about 1inch by 2inches) and give him the reader and newly-captured memory card footage, to start dumping onto an extra backup drive
- and while that takes place you can use that blank swapped memory card to continue capturing new footage etc.

(btw it might work better with photos but if you have some extra time for verifications, try using a free parity tool called QuickPar - it's very good at verifying if a folders contents are the same as the source, and can also be used to recover some corrupted parts of any file in that folder)

also, i dont know the costs involved or where you can get them from, (and maybe i've seen too many spy films), but if you are going somewhere where the main cause of the problem is lack of internet and lack of quick internet, then maybe the solution could be to buy one of those "burst transmitter mobile satelites"?
(also maybe theres a new camera model like those new phones that can contain 2 sim cards so you can switch between them - eg just like a drobo with dual redundancy, maybe a future model will be able to write/capture the footage and save it directly to 2 memory cards at the same time, making an instant backup) Smile
btw does anyone know if there is a way (ideally a safe way) of using an eSataP socket to power and connect a drobo?

dont try it!
just a question, because maybe theres a way to use a new fully-charged high-capacity laptop battery, and a drobo attached to that laptop, as some kind of ups?

eg, imagine having the drobo connected to the laptop battery power, (and the laptop being run off the mains grid as most laptop users might do) and then in the event of the mains power being lost, the laptop continues running for a few hours, or with a drobo attached and running off it, maybe an hour or so?

actually, if a laptop batter can run a laptop and hard drive and cd drive and a hefty GPU for a few hours... maybe what we need is some kind of "Porta-Pack"? where you just carry a spare laptop battery and a connector cable as a portable ups Smile

(as usual, if you make this and patent or sell it remember me and my 1% lol Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2013, 03:23 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 03:24 AM by darckense.)
(06-06-2013 01:43 PM)Paul Wrote:  <--snip-->
btw does anyone know if there is a way (ideally a safe way) of using an eSataP socket to power and connect a drobo?

dont try it!

Drobo Mini power supply 12v @ 4.16A (50W) max.
eSataP appears to support 12v @ 1A (12W) max.

Drobo FS | 2x2x2x2x1 mixed set
Drobo 5N | 3TBx5 WD Red
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2013, 07:44 AM
thanks for that info darckense its useful to know.

(btw is your first name 'charles' and have you written many books)? Big Grin

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user