Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
04-20-2013, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 11:37 AM by Paul.)
RE: Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)
oh i see what you mean..
if it was just pictures even the free dropbox could work, but yes if its video footage you'll be lucky if each project is at least 100gb Smile

(while this isnt helping to solve the ups question, if you do have anything on source drives or source flash media.. dont move the items onto the computer... "copy" paste and then verify the copied data.

on windows i can suggest cool tools, but am not sure for mac
but good luck trooper... (or wait your name is CIM not ZIM Big Grin
http://www.universeguide.com/character/C...http://www.universeguide.com/character/CareerS

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Maybe you could take some 3TB or 4TB drive and connect it via USB, to make a backup copy. That seems the only way to copy so much data in that time, and the only medium that could store so much.

When I travelled to Europe a few years ago, I took my DSLR, lenses, tripod, laptop, and clothes for 2 weeks -- all in carry-on bags. Actually, it wasn't so much clothing. My friend observed that "they sell socks there, you know, and shirts. Shoes too, if yours get wet." I learned valuable lessons about how to pack.

The important thing is to get the shots. I wish you the best with that. Smile

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
04-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Understand why you're not looking to cloud storage...

I think of your travel like going my grandpa's house - his phone sort-of-barely works and has no cable, so no broadband or Internet unless I bring it with me (which would mean slow cell connection).

What I would recommend is in-line with rdo's suggestion - bring some extra storage to make a true standalone backup copy, and store that with a trusted friend or colleague.

While I sincerely hope nothing bad happens during your trip, it would give you some backup.

I've had more than a few friends have their cameras and other equipment stolen while abroad and the irreplaceable loss really was their data...

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
04-22-2013, 01:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-22-2013 01:22 PM by CIM.)
Thanks bhiga: ". . . What I would recommend is in-line with rdo's suggestion - bring some extra storage to make a true standalone backup copy, and store that with a trusted friend or colleague."

Am I wrong? I think I remember someone at Drobo telling me that there is no way to make a backup of the Mini itself. And even if I could, I don't have a drive big enough. But I do have two 1TB Lacie Little Big Disks and one 2 TB LBD. So my plan is to manually copy from my "Movies" folder to the Lacies. My Movies folder will have each of my Events (Original and Optimized, i.e., transcoded media) and all my Projects. It will also have my latest automatic backup of the projects.

Another option would be, instead, to make camera archives so that, even if I lost the optimized media and projects, I would at least still have what was originally recorded to camera.

I am VERY paranoid about theft. We will be staying and traveling
with friends on the trip. No hotels. Hopefully, their experience living in country will help us protect our gear. Now if customs and TSA people will just not mess with us!

Anyway, I guess we have meandered off topic a bit on this thread. But I really appreciate all who have taken the time to offer help.

[/quote]
Thanks, rdo. I am thinking along those lines. Of course, the weakness in the plan is that all our "stuff" will be pretty much together all the time. So, if we lose it or it gets stolen... "How did we get up this creek? And where's the paddle?" So: Imperfect solutions for living in an imperfect world.
04-22-2013, 02:22 PM
I wasn't thinking about a backup of the entire Mini, but if you have one of those standalone drive duplicators that do bit-copying, then that's a possibility. You'd have to clone each of the disk pack's drives... Possible, but it would be prohbitively time-consuming because you'll have no access to your data until the cloning process is complete.

I was thinking more along the lines of backing up your raw camera footage, or at least the used footage and project files. Depending on your editing style, you might be able to get away with just backups of reasonably-finished segments.
That file/asset-based backup could run overnight while you're sleeping or while you're out shooting if you aren't lugging all your gear with you.

We're a little off-topic I guess, but I'm taking the spirit of the main topic as "Traveling with my Drobo" Smile

04-22-2013, 03:26 PM
"Traveling With My Drobo" – perhaps a documentary that Tom Buiocchi and team would want to produce? Wink
04-23-2013, 08:22 AM
As someone who works in marketing, I think it would make for a great case study! If you can, document both your journey and the technical challenges of it!

04-25-2013, 01:00 PM
that sounds cool actually Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
06-04-2013, 03:57 AM
Uninterruptible Power Supply UPS
Ok. Im pretty new at this stuff and I hope this is not a stupid question. I am trying to mount two amp 6 basics in one chassis to power two different sets of speakers from the same place. However, Im not sure what to do about the power supply. I understand that a transformer is necessary to lower the voltage from 110 down to 12v and then the power supply rectifies the power from AC to DC, but once the power has been converted can the signal simply be split to power two separate amplifiers simultaneously or is there some limitation in the power supply that would prevent this from working? Just curious.
Thanks,
Jud.
06-04-2013, 07:33 PM
I travel for work and got the Drobo Mini to allow me to carry my data in a more reliable form ( and portable - my old Gen 1 traveled back and forth in my checked luggage a few times, I still wonder how it didn't end up broken ). I only do Photos so my volume is of course smaller.

My process is as follows:

1. Copy the Data from my Camera to my Laptop.
2. Zip the Laptop Copy after confirming the files are all there.
3. Copy the Data and Zipped Version to my Drobo.
4. Confirm the Zip Archive can be opened on the Drobo and check the Data Copy.

At that point I remove the items from my Camera Memory Card if I need the space, otherwise I leave it until I'm forced to (that way I have a local third copy with me). Sometimes when I'm feeling really cautious I buy an additional memory card to save the delete.

Occasionally, I have used 'Back to my Mac' to log into my Home Mac and copy the Zip onto the Home Drobo as well. But, it's pretty slow and costly on Internet Bandwidth.

When I get home, I use Chronosync to copy the Drobo Mini updates back to the Drobo Gen 1 and check that. Then I update my Cold Storage Backup of my Drobo Gen 1, at which point I'll remove the Data and Zip from my laptop.

Probably a little overly cautious but I haven't lost a photo since doing this.

Regards,

Michael