Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Mini Boot-up / Odd Behavior
04-02-2013, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 04:46 AM by microagent.)
Drobo Mini Boot-up / Odd Behavior
I noticed with my Drobo Mini that when it boots up which takes about ~2 or so minutes, about 2/3 of the way through, the unit seems to "click" off (it actually sounds like a click) as if the unit shut itself down (as all the lights go off) and then turns on again a second later before finally booting up ~45 seconds.

Is this expected behavior or something to be concerned about?

Firmware: 3.0.6 [7.131.61597] (connected via Thunderbolt / OS-X 10.8.3]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-20-2013, 06:54 AM
RE: Drobo Mini Boot-up / Odd Behavior
Hi,

I haven't noticed that exact sequence with my Mini. But, I have had a couple of odd boot sequences with my Mini.

Mine, would flag all drives as Red during boot up. I found that turning it back off and reseating all the drives and then booting it again solved the problem.

It only seemed to occur if I was in a bury to turn off the Mini and rather than using the Dashboard, I simply waited for the activity light to stop and used the power button on the back.

I figured that something wasn't right when it powered off and that was causing the problem. I haven't seen the problem since.

Regards,

Michael
10-21-2013, 04:43 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2013 04:46 AM by Paul.)
hi micro,

i have heard a similar 'click' on my drobo (gen1 or gen2), but as far as i remember, it was just within the normal use (or less frequent use) and only on an infrequent basis, eg sometimes after not doing much on the drobo, i'd hear it maybe once every 2 months, and assumed it was a WD hard drive feature when a drive went idle, but all so far so good here) Smile

(during bootup, all the drives sound like they are being used, but im pretty sure that actual 'click' never happened).

if you get a chance, could you try the following?

1) to shut everything down, unplug the fireware cable from the drobo, and to power up just the drobo to see if you still get that click.
(in case something on the computer (assuming a mac?) is causing it to go idle and then wake up again)

2) to try doing your normal boot routine, but using a usb cable instead, in case something regarding firewire is triggering that behaviour

(btw what is your normal routine where you notice that click....is it where you just power on everything at the same time, or is the computer on already, and then you are just switching on the mini)?

3) might be good to generate some diagnostic logs from dashboard, when youre not heavily using the mini, to send to support in case they can detect something too)

- - - - -
hi michael, its good you dont have that problem anymore.
when you get a chance it would probably be good to try a chkdsk on your drobo when not using it much, as a quick power off can sometimes damage the filesystem a bit.

if your not too sure, just run it as chkdsk driveletter: at first to see if it reports no errors.
then you can try the chkdsk driveletter /x if you dont see the 'no errors' message.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
10-21-2013, 09:01 AM
@mpschaefer - it's very important to properly shut down Drobo - or any other removable device, for that matter. Even if it's not a NAS and the OS is set not to cache writes to the device, you can still cause filesystem confusion if you pull the plug at just the right time...

Yes, it's rare for this to happen, but best to avoid the risk whenever possible. Otherwise it's like having run-flat tires and not trying to avoid road hazards. It's a safety device, not an invulnerability power-up. Wink

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.