Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Apps 2.0 SDK for Drobo 5N
03-29-2013, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 03-28-2014 02:14 AM by orevueltas.)
Drobo Apps 2.0 SDK for Drobo 5N
Dear Drobo Developer Community!

I'm happy to announce the availability of the Drobo 5N Drobo Apps framework.

Drobo Apps Landing Page

While Drobo has partnered with key application vendors to enhance the user experience of our products. A Software Development Kit tailored for the Drobo 5N has been released for download from the following link

Drobo Apps 2.0 SDK

Please note that DroboApps from diskpacks migrated from Drobo FS onto a Drobo 5N, should still be functional. However, there is a new mechanism within Drobo Dashboard for an end user to be able to stop/start a Drobo App.
Most Drobo Apps that were developed before the release of this Document, will need to conform with these changes. This is further explained within the Drobo Apps SDK Document.

This thread should be used for feedback on the SDK Document and not for Drobo App submission/requests.

Thank you
Drobo Apps Team
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2013, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 03:50 PM by ricardo.)
RE: Drobo Apps 2.0 SDK for Drobo 5N
Fantastic news! I think the link was lost, though. Thanks for the link.

Tap the full potential of the Drobo FS/5N with DroboApps.
To receive the latest updates about my DroboApps circle me on Google Plus.
Find all posts by this user
03-29-2013, 03:51 PM
The SDK link worked for me... Perhaps Copy.com has some regional restrictions? Then again, many Internet sites seems to be having trouble today.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
03-29-2013, 04:02 PM
@bhiga: When first posted the text was missing the links to the copy.com page. Now it is fixed.

@orevueltas: /tmp is a tmpfs mount point on the 5N, but it is part of the root partition on the FS. Will there be a new firmware update to the FS to mount a tmpfs under /tmp as well? If not, is there a reliable way of telling which device the app is currently running on?

03-30-2013, 06:44 PM
If you'll allow me, here are some suggestions to improve the documentation of the SDK:

1) It is not clear whether the folder /tmp/DroboApps/${name}/ is entirely managed by the framework or not. Should I check whether the folder exists? Should I clear its content on stop? Which files should I worry about deleting?

2) I noticed that some app names are (for the lack of a better word) reserved. For example, although I had an app called apache, it did not show on the Dashboard. What's even worse, my self-installed apache causes serious trouble for the Copy app, and prevents it from running properly. Here's what happened: when clicking the "configure" button for the Copy app, I was greeted by a white window. No login form, nothing. I ssh'ed into the 5N to see what the Copy app was doing and I noticed that there was an apache configuration file. I assumed that my apache app was interfering with the proper deployment of the Copy app, and removed it. I proceeded to remove and reinstall the Copy app, but this time I was forwarded to the page of another app that I have running on the 5N. Which leads us to the next point...

3) Some network ports are (again, for the lack of a better word) reserved. In particular, port 8080 is used by the stealth apache app, and if any other app is taking that port then you get at worst no feedback at all, and at best some weird behavior. Once I stopped my other app, and then removed and reinstalled the Copy app that it worked.

4) What about logfiles? Should they also be placed in /tmp/DroboApps/{$name}/?

5) What about user account for apps? Apps like OpenSSH require an unprivileged system user account that they use to chroot themselves. Should we create these accounts manually, or will there be something like a 'daemon' account? If we have to create the accounts, will they be persisted across reboots? If not, how can we guarantee that they will have the same numerical id (for file ownership)? Will there be a centralized database of uids allocated for each app?

6) What are the guidelines for file/folder permissions? Which is the umask that is recommended for services that create files/folders, so that they are compatible with the default file servers (SMB and AFP)?

Thanks for the support, and congratulations again on a great product.

09-30-2013, 03:31 AM
Hi, i'have just ordered a Drobo 5N.
Someone can post a config file to build crosstool-ng environ for Drobo 5N in order to make an crosscompile environ under OSX?

Best regards... and see you soon!
09-30-2013, 05:35 AM
I think the easiest solution is to install VirtualBox and run the official SDK inside a Linux VM. That is what I do.