Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Thunderbolt ? When ?
03-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Thunderbolt ? When ?
When do we see the Thunderbolt drivers for the PC ?
We have Thunderbolt capable PC's now and I bought two 5D with Thunderbolts to go with the new boards we bought and now no drivers ....

Drobo support said maybe March 2013 .... well its almost the end of March so I guess we still have a few days .....

I would like to know why it was released with the promise of Thunderbolt and PC compatibility ... which was not the case.

Anyone found another solution other than waiting ?

Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-20-2013, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2013 09:54 PM by diamondsw.)
RE: Thunderbolt ? When ?
I'm honestly a bit confused - why would the storage device need a special driver? I'm sure there must be a reason (or else you wouldn't be posting this), but it escapes me. No such thing is needed for other connections.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
03-21-2013, 03:35 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 03:41 AM by masc2279.)
(03-20-2013 08:42 PM)Doc Wrote:  When do we see the Thunderbolt drivers for the PC ?
We have Thunderbolt capable PC's now and I bought two 5D with Thunderbolts to go with the new boards we bought and now no drivers ....

Drobo support said maybe March 2013 .... well its almost the end of March so I guess we still have a few days .....

I would like to know why it was released with the promise of Thunderbolt and PC compatibility ... which was not the case.

Anyone found another solution other than waiting ?

Cheers.

Well don't blame Drobo on that one. You were the one who bought the product without researching. Drobo lists everywhere that it will not work under thunderbolt within windows. And assuming that they will have a driver on time or at all after stating all over their site that it is in its early stages and no where near ready for windows is all on you. I hold Drobo up to a high standard and am critical about their support because they have had some issues lately and have dropped the ball. But this issue is not Drobo's fault the only one to blame is you for jumping the gun.

Drobo Thunderbolt on Windows.
And your solution is USB while you wait.
And please show me where they promised PC Thunderbolt Support. They say PC support and the unit does run fine on a PC. Yes via USB. But it works as advertised. And on every page it says : 2 x Thunderbolt ports; second port for daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices (Mac OS X only). It does not say : 2 x Thunderbolt ports; second port for daisy chaining Thunderbolt devices (Mac OS X only and PC SOON !!!). LOL
03-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Yeah they changed their statemet of suppoert for windows.
I can accept that - they also offered me my $ back - as they beloived they had mis-represented themselves slightly on the website.
That page was taken down.
I am using USB 3 and did keep the 5D with a tech answering my support topics on the subject.
Also note I have recieved some more info on the fact that the USB 3 speeds are very lack lustre.
As measured by them !
I am still working with a teck on that to.
They also wrote to me letting me know they did not have driver to assist with Windows but were in fact working on it.

So I may have jumped the gun - but went on the info they had at the time.
I enjoy my pc and tech and require mass storage - I wanted it faster than USB 3 - they had it up as in and did not.
As of now the apology was accepted - especially as they offered a refund.
So I will wait a little longer.
Still annoyed and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience .......
03-21-2013, 04:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 04:11 AM by Doc.)
Yeah they changed their statemet of support for windows.
I can accept that - they also offered me my $ back - as they beloived they had mis-represented themselves slightly on the website.
That page was taken down.
I am using USB 3 and did keep the 5D with a tech answering my support topics on the subject.
Also note I have recieved some more info on the fact that the USB 3 speeds are very lack lustre.
As measured by them !
I am still working with a teck on that to.
They also wrote to me letting me know they did not have driver to assist with Windows but were in fact working on it.

So I may have jumped the gun - but went on the info they had at the time.
I enjoy my pc and tech and require mass storage - I wanted it faster than USB 3 - they had it up as in and did not.
As of now the apology was accepted - especially as they offered a refund.
So I will wait a little longer.
Still annoyed and wanted to see if anyone else had a similar experience .......
03-21-2013, 08:54 AM
If the USB 3 speeds are lackluster as you say, then I'm curious as to why you're expecting Thunderbolt to be any faster for that device? Or did you mean that practical USB 3 interface speeds in general are lackluster in performance?

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
03-21-2013, 11:36 AM
(03-20-2013 08:42 PM)Doc Wrote:  When do we see the Thunderbolt drivers for the PC ?
AFAIK, both OSX and recent Linux kernels include native support for Thunderbolt on Personal Computers. I don't think Windows does.

Quote:We have Thunderbolt capable PC's now and I bought two 5D with Thunderbolts to go with the new boards we bought and now no drivers
You mean the computer manufacturer sold you hardware and doesn't provide drivers to use it? That should have been clear at the time of sale. Or do you mean that other Thunderbolt devices work, but there's something about the Drobo that's not happy?

Anyway, I hope you're able to get this working soon. It's good that Drobo at least offered you a refund.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
03-21-2013, 05:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2013 05:13 PM by Doc.)
(03-21-2013 08:54 AM)bhiga Wrote:  If the USB 3 speeds are lackluster as you say, then I'm curious as to why you're expecting Thunderbolt to be any faster for that device? Or did you mean that practical USB 3 interface speeds in general are lackluster in performance?

Practical speeds in general are never as reported.
Still quicker than 2.0

This is all mainly for moving large volumes of photos and backing them up.
We have 6 Drobo devices - so its not like we don't support them or like them.
(03-21-2013 11:36 AM)rdo Wrote:  
AFAIK, both OSX and recent Linux kernels include native support for Thunderbolt on Personal Computers. I don't think Windows does.

Quote:We have Thunderbolt capable PC's now and I bought two 5D with Thunderbolts to go with the new boards we bought and now no drivers
You mean the computer manufacturer sold you hardware and doesn't provide drivers to use it? That should have been clear at the time of sale. Or do you mean that other Thunderbolt devices work, but there's something about the Drobo that's not happy?

Anyway, I hope you're able to get this working soon. It's good that Drobo at least offered you a refund.

Yeah I wish the guys at Gigabyte had have tested a little more as well.
It was Drobo that said they were looking at it though.
In any case this was originally an intel spec - so there is no excuse - once released it should not just work with these two units.

Silly really.
03-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Got it. Was just wondering where you thought the bottleneck might be occurring.

Looks like Thunderbolt on Windows is much like early USB 3.0 was on Mac OS.

from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2516445/en-us
Quote:Thunderbolt is not supported in any version of Windows, but manufacturers might still decide to include this port type.

I'm not familiar enough with Thunderbolt to know whether there's some standardized storage driver equivalent to Firewire's SBP-2. If there is a standardized storage driver, then a driver from Drobo shouldn't be necessary. But assuming your Thunderbolt interface has a working driver and isn't only compatible with certain device types, that would point back to a device-specific driver being necessary, which would be quite the throwback to the pre-USB days...

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
09-08-2014, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 07:44 AM by Doc.)
... so here we are now in 2014 ........ any changes ?
And we still waiting to see if Drobo has fixed the issue .......

Nope nothing.

C'mon guys it's been over a year ... I would have thought you could have done something by now .... hell I'm using Thunderbolt external drives from Seagate hooked up to transfer stuff around ... and yes its in windows ..... seriously ...
NOTHING ?

.... and yeah its hell faster in real time than USB 3 .... yeah nowhere near advertised speeds but in real time way better than USB 3.
... still reading 2013 update ...

"Currently we do not support Thunderbolt on Windows at this time: this technology on Windows is in very early developmental phase, especially for storage.
See this link for more info: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/
- See more at: http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/det...http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/677/~/windows,-thunderbolt,-drobo-5d-%26-drobo-mini#sthash.jst"

Male Bovine Manure .... Drobo ...... Male Bovine Manure ....... no udates no care ..... why will you not fix this ?

Are you kidding ... Thunderbolt Tech is no longer in early development ...... you are still giving out rubbish excuses though.