Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Drobo Firmware 3.0.5 is Out
02-24-2013, 10:34 AM
RE: New Drobo Firmware 3.0.5 is Out
Well i decided to install 3.0.5 by removing the disk pack which then shows the unit in dash board apply the firmware then restart the insert the disk pack and format and wipe out the raid and now its working with the new firmware but applying it to my unit with data and already running bricks it. This is sad I now cannot trust firmware updates from this company.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2013, 02:12 PM
(02-24-2013 10:34 AM)masc2279 Wrote:  This is sad I now cannot trust firmware updates from this company.

Well, then I guess don't apply any more of them.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
(02-24-2013 02:12 PM)diamondsw Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 10:34 AM)masc2279 Wrote:  This is sad I now cannot trust firmware updates from this company.

Well, then I guess don't apply any more of them.

That or i need to be prepared do a restore from backups every time something needs to be updated which is sad. But clearly not waste time with support. As they said to do it right you must do it yourself.
02-24-2013, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 03:46 PM by diamondsw.)
(02-24-2013 02:27 PM)masc2279 Wrote:  But clearly not waste time with support. As they said to do it right you must do it yourself.

Do it yourself, eh? Plenty of folks willing to sell you a bare enclosure and disks, and you can "roll it yourself" to your heart's content.

Drobo's may have problems on occasion. I had issues on the FS, there have been definite issues on the 5D, and I'm sure at some point I'll run into a problem with my 5N. The Dashboard definitely has issues and could be better written. But I've never found Drobo's support to be anything but exemplary - and many folks here would agree, despite the product they have to support - and you're sitting here banging this drum all weekend, despite everything apparently working again.

You downgraded successfully to 3.0.4, you upgraded the empty unit to 3.0.5 successfully; you never mentioned what happened when you reinserted the disk pack other than you wiped it. At this point, I don't know what you want from them.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
02-24-2013, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2013 04:09 PM by masc2279.)
(02-24-2013 03:45 PM)diamondsw Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 02:27 PM)masc2279 Wrote:  But clearly not waste time with support. As they said to do it right you must do it yourself.

Do it yourself, eh? Plenty of folks willing to sell you a bare enclosure and disks, and you can "roll it yourself" to your heart's content.

Drobo's may have problems on occasion. I had issues on the FS, there have been definite issues on the 5D, and I'm sure at some point I'll run into a problem with my 5N. The Dashboard definitely has issues and could be better written. But I've never found Drobo's support to be anything but exemplary - and many folks here would agree, despite the product they have to support - and you're sitting here banging this drum all weekend, despite everything apparently working again.

You downgraded successfully to 3.0.4, you upgraded the empty unit to 3.0.5 successfully; you never mentioned what happened when you reinserted the disk pack other than you wiped it. At this point, I don't know what you want from them.

Are you serious. I paid for a service and yes i could have rolled my own unit. But i wanted something that i did not have to. I paid for a product and support and when you tell someone your are going to do something you should do it. They have not and i have called several times. And not only am i drumming i am telling everyone since Drobo did not care to help. And if you would read i did say what happened the disk pack was never seen when the 3.0.5 was updated until i did a reset of the whole unit and a fresh format.

The ignorance to believe that i should be happy that the issue was resolved with me doing all the work and all the testing and finding my own solution on a product that i bought with support and then support leaving me out to dry is mind blowing after they said they would call me right away. Thats not customer service.

And i was a pumper of Drobo before this fiasco read.
And wait problems on occasions do you not read. Everyone here are having issues from Drobo not spinning down to melting to support not returning calls. Come on be serious.
And one more thing they have yet to call back and they are open Friday, Saturday and now we are on Sunday they are open now as well. Allowing a customer that has issues just sit without a call, fallow up, or update that is the way you lose customers.

You can make justifications for what every you would like but i am not wrong. No matter how you twist this. Its mind blowing to think you can justify that i had to do all the work and support my self after paying for a product with support and You say i should be happy.

Its like buying a car with warranty and the dealer saying we will get back to you and you end up having to fix it your self since they don't care. Mind Blowing. You pay for a service you should expect it to be taken care of. Yes i could have built my own and that is what i plan on doing than wasting money on a second unit or another penny on this company.
02-25-2013, 11:56 AM
(02-23-2013 05:16 PM)masc2279 Wrote:  
(02-23-2013 05:02 PM)rdo Wrote:  I've worked as a hardware support tech. This conversation, and the never-ending "melted Drobo" saga simply shouldn't happen.
Drobo isn't lining up "motivated," "empowered," and "involved."

I agree they have issues and they are not going to survive if they do not get on the ball with support and the care of their customers. And funny enough last night they wanted to know the model number of the power supply of the Drobo not the S/N nothing but the part number which is very strange i wander if there is an issue with power supplies now. I have never gone thru any support that they take time out of the issue in between steps and ask about the part number of the power supply. I wonder if that is one of your issues with the melting units.

You know, I don't remember if I mentioned it in the post but way early on in said never ending melted drobo saga, they too asked me what the part number of the PSU was. Turns out, that didn't send up any red flags (at least, none that they would have tipped me off about) and just wanted to make sure that the one that was shipped with the replacement was the one I was using, which was the case.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
02-25-2013, 12:20 PM
(02-24-2013 03:56 PM)masc2279 Wrote:  I paid for a product and support and when you tell someone your are going to do something you should do it. They have not and i have called several times.
they have yet to call back and they are open Friday, Saturday and now we are on Sunday they are open now as well. Allowing a customer that has issues just sit without a call, fallow up, or update that is the way you lose customers.
You pay for a service you should expect it to be taken care of. Yes i could have built my own and that is what i plan on doing than wasting money on a second unit or another penny on this company.

You paid for a premium product, and did not receive premium support. I don't blame you for being unhappy.
Before you build your own, consider a business-class ReadyNAS. They cost more than Drobo, but they really deliver. I worked a Severity 1 (business down) ticket one weekend for a client who called me every few hours for status, and ReadyNAS Support was there every step of the way.
You might like a ReadyNAS 2100. They're about $1500 plus a few hundred dollars per year for 24/7 support.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
02-25-2013, 12:26 PM
(02-25-2013 12:20 PM)rdo Wrote:  
(02-24-2013 03:56 PM)masc2279 Wrote:  I paid for a product and support and when you tell someone your are going to do something you should do it. They have not and i have called several times.
they have yet to call back and they are open Friday, Saturday and now we are on Sunday they are open now as well. Allowing a customer that has issues just sit without a call, fallow up, or update that is the way you lose customers.
You pay for a service you should expect it to be taken care of. Yes i could have built my own and that is what i plan on doing than wasting money on a second unit or another penny on this company.

You paid for a premium product, and did not receive premium support. I don't blame you for being unhappy.
Before you build your own, consider a business-class ReadyNAS. They cost more than Drobo, but they really deliver. I worked a Severity 1 (business down) ticket one weekend for a client who called me every few hours for status, and ReadyNAS Support was there every step of the way.
You might like a ReadyNAS 2100. They're about $1500 plus a few hundred dollars per year for 24/7 support.

Well Drobo just called me apologizing that my file fell thru the cracks and they should have called me back friday, saturday, and or sunday and they are going to find out why they did not. Not that it matters any more. The service and support is ridiculous.

Firmware 3.0.5 was pulled because of the issues i had and others having the same issue along with slow mounting and long upgrade times using 3.0.5. So clearly they did not test it. A normal company should have a lab set up with multiple units and multiple scenarios to test and update before going live. And now they pulled the Firmware. Love it.
02-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Can someone please PM me the 3.05 fw file???? manfred.ell AT GMAIL.COM
02-25-2013, 12:49 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2013 12:53 PM by masc2279.)
(02-25-2013 12:45 PM)manfredell Wrote:  Can someone please PM me the 3.05 fw file???? manfred.ell AT GMAIL.COM

Yes i will send it to you right now.
(02-25-2013 12:45 PM)manfredell Wrote:  Can someone please PM me the 3.05 fw file???? manfred.ell AT GMAIL.COM

You should have it. Just left my outbox. Hope it helps.