Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Drobo Firmware 3.0.5 is Out
02-22-2013, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 09:58 PM by masc2279.)
New Drobo Firmware 3.0.5 is Out
Well the Firmware is out lets see how it goes i am downloading it right now i hope it solves the Drive Spin Down Issue the the 5D has had. Will report tomorrow after update and some time to see if it is spinning down.
WOW ...... this is taking a long time to do the firmware making me very nervous. so far no lights but the power light flashing and the Activity Light Solid green nor drive lights nor the blue gauge lights. Making me nervous.
Now it shows an error "Drobo does not detect any hard drives. Please insert a hard drive immediately." still no drive lights only the power flashing and the activity light solid green.
Talking to support as we speak something seems wrong.
Support says it may take a couple of hours to let it sit and see what happens and call back in a couple of hours if it has not changed so lets see. So far not very happy and feeling very nervous.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2013, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 11:39 PM by masc2279.)
RE: New Drobo Firmware 3.0.5 is Out
10:08pm two hours and still nothing no lights but the power light flashing on and off no drive lights no gauge lights no activity light and the Drobo dash does not find the Drobo.
Well support is escalating the issue and now i have to wait till they call back who knows when that will be. Not very happy right now. Has anyone else tried the new firmware ? If so what has your experience been ? How long did it take you ? Will keep updating as I go along.
02-23-2013, 02:25 PM
3.0.5 firmware does not work on my Drobo none of the drive lights light up and the power flashes on and off and the activity light is solid it says no drives present. Support has not called back as they said they would and clearly does not care about its customers.

I just forced a downgrade back to 3.0.4 because no one wants to help me at Drobo and now everything is working again granted it is going thru a data protection process but at least i know its working.

I cannot support Drobo anymore and i will clearly and strongly tell people to avoid Drobo for the future product purchases. This is very sad.
02-23-2013, 03:24 PM
I upgraded to version 2.4.2 and had a similar issue. To revolve this issue I just rebooting the drobo and the drobo dashboard - everything working now.
Hope this helps.
02-23-2013, 03:47 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 03:47 PM by masc2279.)
(02-23-2013 03:24 PM)sonicbug Wrote:  I upgraded to version 2.4.2 and had a similar issue. To revolve this issue I just rebooting the drobo and the drobo dashboard - everything working now.
Hope this helps.

No none of that worked and support walked me thru a bunch and they could not figure it out so they escalated it. But they promised they would call right back and never did. So i forced a downgrade to the firmware after waiting a day and am now back up and running. 3.0.5 for me does not work.
02-23-2013, 03:58 PM
They promised they'd call right back after 10pm on a Friday?

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
02-23-2013, 04:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 04:02 PM by masc2279.)
(02-23-2013 03:58 PM)diamondsw Wrote:  They promised they'd call right back after 10pm on a Friday?

Yes that was 10pm MST they are open till 1AM MST...

Monday - Thursday 06:00 to 19:00 P.T.
Friday - Saturday 06:00 to 24:00 P.T.
Sunday - 06:00 to 18:00 P.T.

They were there and they are still there now. No calls no emails nothing when you say you will do something .... Do it.
(02-23-2013 03:58 PM)diamondsw Wrote:  They promised they'd call right back after 10pm on a Friday?

Yes that was 10pm MST they are open till 1AM MST...

Monday - Thursday 06:00 to 19:00 P.T.
Friday - Saturday 06:00 to 24:00 P.T.
Sunday - 06:00 to 18:00 P.T.

They were there and they are still there now. No calls no emails nothing when you say you will do something .... Do it.
02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I've worked as a hardware support tech. This conversation, and the never-ending "melted Drobo" saga simply shouldn't happen.
Drobo isn't lining up "motivated," "empowered," and "involved."

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
02-23-2013, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 05:17 PM by masc2279.)
(02-23-2013 05:02 PM)rdo Wrote:  I've worked as a hardware support tech. This conversation, and the never-ending "melted Drobo" saga simply shouldn't happen.
Drobo isn't lining up "motivated," "empowered," and "involved."

I agree they have issues and they are not going to survive if they do not get on the ball with support and the care of their customers. And funny enough last night they wanted to know the model number of the power supply of the Drobo not the S/N nothing but the part number which is very strange i wander if there is an issue with power supplies now. I have never gone thru any support that they take time out of the issue in between steps and ask about the part number of the power supply. I wonder if that is one of your issues with the melting units.
02-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Actually, I can think of a few reasons they might ask for the PSU part number.
  • Divergent troubleshooting: don't get fixated on one area and miss something significant elsewhere. (This is also why I will step away during intense troubleshooting to clear my head with a 5-minute walk.)
  • Someone mentioned to your tech that "oh, yeah. I shipped a new PSU last week to this customer and it solved his problem."
  • Event correlation: Track components in case a pattern emerges. They might have multiple suppliers.
  • Don't get stuck. When you're out of answers, ask more questions.
Heck, I don't care if they ask what brand of laundry soap I use, just solve my problem. Tell them your shoe size next time. Big Grin

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown