Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Replacement for a Drobo S?
02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Replacement for a Drobo S?
Hi, I'm considering replacing my Drobo S with a Drobo Mini.
I'm just a home user who needs lots of storage for movies and time machine backups. Currently my Drobo S runs with the fans on most of the time so it's really annoying for others to be in the run (i.e. guest room).

Does the mini run quieter?
I currently have 3x 1TB + 1x2TB hard drives.

When do you expect 2TB 2.5" disks to be available? I don´t need SSD, with traditional HDD I´d have more than enough.

thanks a lot.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2014, 02:04 AM
RE: Replacement for a Drobo S?
Hi,

The new Drobo 5D has the same 5 drive bays as Drobo S. But it have the following features:

1) USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt for fast connectivity
2) Supports SSD drives
3) mSATA accelerator slot

Both the Drobo 5D and Drobo Mini are much quieter. The different is that Drobo Mini is limited by the 2.5" drive capacity. Whereby Drobo 5D uses 3.5" drive which currently has bigger capacity compare to 2.5" drive.

Please note that Drobo Mini only accepts 7 mm and 9.5 mm in height 2.5" drive. There are some higher capacity 2.5" drive which is 12mm in height, these will not fit into the Drobo Mini drive bay.

Thanks,
02-12-2014, 04:31 PM
It's also worth mentioning that the 5D (and 5N) have a much-improved fan over the ones that plagued the FS and S models. I was one of those who braved replacing my FS fan when it left warranty, but I've never felt the need on the 5N. The 5D would also offer you a direct migration path from the S, which is worth considering.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
02-13-2014, 07:21 AM
What drives are you currently using? Maybe they are generating a lot of heat (7200rpm drives)?
Please consider using WD RED drives as they are designed for NAS/DAS usage and run very quiet and relatively cool.

drobo 2nd Gen, drobo 5N
02-13-2014, 08:58 AM
hi, theres good info from others above here,
i'd also double check that its the fan which is making the noise you dont like... because i had some loud noises before on my drobo-s (plus gen1/gen2) which turned out to be amplified with Vibration.

once i put the drobo rubber feet onto cork feet (cork drink mats) and something heavy on the chasis - the vibration vanished and it was really much quieter Smile

over time, you will probably fill up the drobo, so a 5d might cost between 50-150 more (depending on where you get it), but at least it should be able to hold a lot more 3.5in varieties of drives than the mini.

if the only reason is because it makes noise, then try a bit of repositioning or checking which drives you have in there at the moment, because maybe you can save a bundle just by tweaking your current setup?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)