Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Transfer speeds on thunderbolt from Drobo 5D
01-15-2013, 05:49 AM
Transfer speeds on thunderbolt from Drobo 5D
I've just set up my new Drobo 5D, and I'm not getting fast speeds using Thunderbolt....I got as high as 95mb/sec but now only getting around 15mb/sec.....what are other people getting?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-15-2013, 09:29 AM
RE: Transfer speeds on thunderbolt from Drobo 5D
If you've just copied a lot of data to the device, then Drobo BeyondRAID may still be laying it out across the drives - it's fairly common to see a short period of low performance after you write the first huge bulk of data. As long as it returns to normal shortly (and doesn't happen day-to-day), I wouldn't worry.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Also, do you have mSATA? What kind of host Mac are you using? Just curious...

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
01-15-2013, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 05:04 PM by sszyszka.)
The most important thing is the size of the files you're copying. Mechanical drives are horrible at lots of small files. Copying millions of files that are several KB in size, mine drags along at less than 1MB/s. Hundreds of thousands of JPGs/RAW files move along at anywhere between 30MB/s to upwards of 350MB/s.

Mine benchmarks at just around 200/300 write/read using Blackmagic's disk tester.
01-15-2013, 11:58 PM
After doing some research, I found this....not sure if it applies fully though.....

Barefeats tested target mode and found the same:
http://www.barefeats.com/tbolt01.html

THUNDERBOLT in TARGET MODE
We tested Target mode with a Thunderbolt cable between two 2011 MacBook Pros with internal "Apple" SSDs. It was a "fizzle." The transfer speed for a 1.2G document topped out at 62MB/s. Why? Because Target Mode uses EFI. That means multi-threading and multi-block transfers possible under OS X are not available for Target mode. Of course, the same is true of FireWire 800 in target mode. Instead of 80MB/s, it tops out at 40MB/s.

Anyways, I don't have mSATA. My Mac is a Mac Mini Server (late 2012).

Okay, I'll keep an eye on it. Perhaps it was stupid of me to expect ultra high transfer speeds when I hooked up the Drobo 5D to the Mac Mini. I wasn't expecting 1GB/sec etc, but at least 200 to 300mb/sec.....

I have my LED cinema display daisychained to the Drobo, so maybe it's something to do with that. Okay, I'll keep an eye on it. At the end of the day, it's far quicker than my previous Drobo (FS) which is horribly slow.

I'll download Blackmagic's tester later and let you know my speeds.....
01-16-2013, 07:12 AM
My results are in my sig.

That's using Black Magic with a 1GB file size.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
01-16-2013, 07:42 AM
I forgot to mention that my benchmarks were on an empty drive. As drives fill up, they slow down.
01-16-2013, 10:55 AM
I don't think the target mode analysis applies, as my understanding of Target Disk Mode is that it allows a Mac system (which would normally be a host) to act as a device to another Mac instead.
Essentially the Mac becomes a storage device, and from the testing you referenced, it uses EFI, so it's implemented in the firmware of the machine, rather than in the OS. A very cool feature, but much different from the Mac-5D host-device relationship.

5D is a Thunderbolt device, not a computer emulating a device, so it shouldn't apply unless Drobo stuffed the brain of a Mac into the 5D. Smile

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.