Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5D + OS X File Vault
01-12-2013, 06:34 AM
RE: 5D + OS X File Vault
The OS X encryption (File Vault) may function similarly as TrueCrypt. I'm not really sure about that.

I only know that Apple totally changed the way File Vault works since Lion 10.7 was introduced. Since then, they call it File Vault 2 and it's supposed to work differently than in the OS X versions before Lion.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileVault

FileVault 1 was introduced with Mac OS X Panther. Encryption may apply to a user's home directory, but not the startup volume. The operating system uses an encrypted sparse disk image – a large single file – to present a volume for the home directory.
Mac OS X Leopard and Mac OS X Snow Leopard use more modern sparse bundle disk images[1] – 8 MB bands (files) within a bundle.
OS X Lion and greater offer FileVault 2,[2], which, despite the name, is a completely different system. This encrypts the OS X startup volume in its entirety and typically includes the home directory – without using a disk image. For this approach to disk encryption, authorised users’ information is loaded from a separate non encrypted boot volume[3] (partition/slice type Apple_Boot).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 09:00 PM
File Vault (original) is file based. It uses encrypted sparse bundles. It was slow, but at least it was prone to corruption.

File Vault 2 is a complete rewrite and uses a Volume Manager (CoreStorage) a la ZFS, for whole-disk encryption. It also enables nifty tricks like FusionDrive (Automated Tiered Storage) and logical volume management.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
02-01-2013, 01:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 01:33 PM by Paul.)
sorry mgriffin, did you mean the vault v1 was "prone" or "not prone" to corruption?

(i've also tried truecrypt back when some other threads started about encryption and i think i did some tests up to about half a tb file container) - not sure how secure truecrypt is in that sense vs other methods/apps but i also tried it as a test container with millions of tiny files like icon size/dupes etc and it worked fine on a drobo)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-01-2013, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 01:53 PM by diamondsw.)
(02-01-2013 01:32 PM)Paul Wrote:  sorry mgriffin, did you mean the vault v1 was "prone" or "not prone" to corruption?

In my experience, his phrasing was correct. Both slow and unstable. I was overjoyed when I saw they'd retired that thing. Of course, if you need to work like FileVault 1, you can easily create an encrypted sparse disk image of whatever size you desire.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
02-01-2013, 08:07 PM
ok thanks

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-03-2013, 09:38 PM
I was trying to be 'ironical'. Big Grin

If you need encryption on a Drobo (or other file-based container), I would recommend TrueCrypt. Encryption is good and it supports the AES-NI hardware built-in to all the Core series processors.

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD