Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
5D + OS X File Vault
01-11-2013, 08:25 AM
5D + OS X File Vault
Hi there,

I just ordered my Drobo 5D and while waiting I realized that I didn't check for compatibility with the File Vault feature of OS X.

I'm running Mountain Lion, so it's actually File Vault version 2.

Any info on this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2013, 08:57 AM
RE: 5D + OS X File Vault
As I understand it, File Vault encrypts the entire volume rather than individual files.
In the best case, Drobo won't be able to use "thin provisioning" and will just consider the whole filesystem one giant file. You'll nullify much of the benefit of BeyondRAID. That's the best case.
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/583

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
01-11-2013, 09:51 AM
The first thing I did when I got my Drobo 5D was encrypt it with OS X 10.8.2. I owned it for less than an hour and found myself on the phone with Drobo tech support only to discover that encrypting the entire volume was bad bad news. It put my unit into an endless reboot loop. If encryption is your thing, plan on doing sections within the volume instead of the whole thing, otherwise you're in for a world of hurt.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Damn, that seems like the price one has to pay for having these strange "BeyondRAID" underpinnings.

I really wish they would produce a Drobo that offers a "pure" / conventional RAID, for the people who are fine with buying 5 identical drives upfront.
01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
(01-11-2013 09:58 AM)Huluvu Wrote:  Damn, that seems like the price one has to pay for having these strange "BeyondRAID" underpinnings.

I really wish they would produce a Drobo that offers a "pure" / conventional RAID, for the people who are fine with buying 5 identical drives upfront.

There are a bajillion vendors who will be happy to sell you that (Promise, LaCie, etc). There's no differentiation in that segment.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 12:51 PM by Huluvu.)
Actually, there is not a single alternative to the Drobo 5D in the market today that meets the following criteria:

-an enclosure that has space for 4/5/6 hard drives
-a thunderbolt connection
-a "pure" hardware controlled raid (5 or 5 + hotspare)
-does NOT come preloaded with drives (like the promise pegasus)

Granted, LaCie just released a 5-bay thunderbolt RAID enclosure, but it's all held together by OS X's software raid possibilities (or lack thereof) because it doesn't have a hardware RAID chip. Even though the LaCie "5big" is offering space for 5 disks, you can't create a RAID 5 or RAID6 because OS X's disk utility can only handle RAID0 or RAID1.

Without having touched either, I think both the Drobo 5D and the Promise Pegasus are fine products. I wish more manufacturers would offer their boxes without preloaded hard drives though.
01-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Ah, my apologies - didn't realize that Promise still bundled drives and OS X couldn't handle RAID-5 on its own.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
01-11-2013, 01:51 PM
no need to apologize – convincing manufacturers that shipping enclosures with drives would be enough for now Smile
01-11-2013, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2013 02:42 PM by mgriffin34.)
If you want to use encryption on your Drobo, you can use a product like TrueCrypt (http://www.truecrypt.org/) and make encrypted volumes (not whole disk) on the Drobo.

TrueCrypt also uses the AES acceleration on the Core iSeries and AES-NI on Ivy Bridge.

Oh, yeah...TrueCrypt is free. Donations suggested. Big Grin

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
01-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes, TrueCrypt does work on Drobo as single containers on the volume, not the whole volume itself. I expect OS X encryption works similarly.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt