Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
mSATA Drive Size VS Performance?
01-08-2013, 12:36 PM
mSATA Drive Size VS Performance?
What is the relationship between mSATA drive size and performance?

With mSATA drives available in 32-64-128-256GB Capacities, which is recommended in the Drobo Mini? Am I going to notice a performance boost between 128 and 256GB.. or am I just going to notice the extra hit to my wallet?

I think the mSATA support and acceleration is great, but does anybody have any real-world experience they can share?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM
RE: mSATA Drive Size VS Performance?
hi morris,
i think more accurate info will surface with time, but at the moment i think 64 was the optimum for drobo based on what some users have mentioned in other threads.

someone else had already purchased a large one, and in that case unless you can get all your money back by selling the larger msata, i think its worth keeping the larger one. (in my mind most extra overhead which has been associated with a drobo or other device managing its internal caches regarding whats in the msata, is made up in overall performance gains and better in the long run as you can also cache more but you are right to ask for real-world experience, because its still relatively new and it depends on the data you are using and other scenarios)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply