Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo Mini with 2x SSD Ridiculously Sloooow
01-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Question Drobo Mini with 2x SSD Ridiculously Sloooow
Hi i would need some advice if my unit is faulty or if the mini just can't handle this. I got my first drobo device, the mini. I have installed 2x of Samsung 840 Pro 512GB. The disk is rated at Read 540 MB/s and Write 520 MB/s. I needed an fast ssd only storage for my upcoming 2012 iMac and wanted the best setup possible.

Since i have not got my iMac yet i have not been able to do any benchmarking with thunderbolt. I have benchmarked the unit with usb3 and im stunned by the slow performance.

Can someone confirm if this is the fault of usb3 connection. Or is this unit to sloooooow to handle the speed of the ssd disks. Right now my external 2.5 5400rpm usb3 disk perform faster.

[Image: 120qs0w.jpg]

[Image: 6td3s5.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
RE: Drobo Mini with 2x SSD Ridiculously Sloooow
I have no experience with the Drobo Mini, so my comments are more about BeyondRAID than the hardware.

RAID calculates parity information for every write. Small writes incur a proportionately greater overhead than large ones. On all RAID systems that I've seen, writing small pieces of data results in slower total throughput than just thumping a great big file onto the disk. I once changed an HP mail server from RAID5 to RAID1+0 and improved performance by 3x.

BeyondRAID seems to also have a high "cost" for random access, including random reads. It gets especially slower with multiple simultaneous operations.

I just read an interesting article about Drobo's top-of-the-line device, in which SSD "data tiering" appears to dramatically improve performance. The Drobo Mini has some facility for data tiering with the mSATA slot, but I couldn't speculate whether using an mSATA SSD would improve performance for small transactions, given you already have SSDs.

All that benchmark stuff aside, what do you plan to use the Mini for? Will you use it for bulk storage? Video editing? Will you store applications on there, or run a web site off of it?

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
01-04-2013, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 08:35 AM by Paul.)
hi onlyalex,
also try to repeat the test after some time, as if youve just set it up it might be doing a bit of housekeeping/checks etc for the first day or so. + its good to also repeat a test in case something else was accessing it or running, so you can get an average etc
hi onlyalex,
also try to repeat the test after some time, as if youve just set it up it might be doing a bit of housekeeping/checks etc for the first day or so. + its good to also repeat a test in case something else was accessing it or running, so you can get an average etc

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I know this is an old-ish thread, but a 256 MB test file is tiny by today's standards. I'd test something MUCH larger.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
07-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Really interested in this as I'm about to pick up 4 SSD's for drobo mini to work on a pretty large project. If i'm looking at these right, I might as well just opt for standard 7200rpm disks? This is crazy slow for raid SSD's...
07-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Is the Drobo Mini compatible with hybrid SSD/Hard drives?
07-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Don't know if it's officially supported but I'm also not sure if you'd see any benefit from hybrid drives in a Drobo either.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
08-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Hello
Thank you for including your performance results, wee would very much like to help so we can see what is going on here. Would you contact support and include a diag for our review.

http://www.drobo.com/support/contact-support.php

Thank You.

(01-03-2013 09:56 AM)onlyalex Wrote:  Hi i would need some advice if my unit is faulty or if the mini just can't handle this. I got my first drobo device, the mini. I have installed 2x of Samsung 840 Pro 512GB. The disk is rated at Read 540 MB/s and Write 520 MB/s. I needed an fast ssd only storage for my upcoming 2012 iMac and wanted the best setup possible.

Since i have not got my iMac yet i have not been able to do any benchmarking with thunderbolt. I have benchmarked the unit with usb3 and im stunned by the slow performance.

Can someone confirm if this is the fault of usb3 connection. Or is this unit to sloooooow to handle the speed of the ssd disks. Right now my external 2.5 5400rpm usb3 disk perform faster.

[Image: 120qs0w.jpg]

[Image: 6td3s5.jpg]