Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Choosing the right drives for my Drobo 5D
01-09-2013, 06:36 PM
RE: Choosing the right drives for my Drobo 5D
Hehe... if you take the response at face value, they are saying "we don't care how those Red drives are made... if WD does not recommend them for our purposes we will not even look at them". And I guess, there is some logic to that. Think about it.

It is actually surprising that Drobo swam upstream in that way, considering they are very alone in warrantying compatibility with consumer drives. I do respect them for that.

Win7 Pro, via Rosewill RC-219 eSata HBA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2013, 05:52 PM
My question after reading this thread is would a Green or Red be better for use in a Drobo (V2). I'm currently running 2x2TB WD20EARS and 2x1TB WD10EADS and have just ordered two 3TB reds to replace the 1's (funds don't stretch for 4 disks ATM).

As the Drobo was designed more for the average joe to stick whatever drive in, is it more designed to work with the regular drives than with something like the Reds (possibly using the TLER). I do see the lower temps, 24x7 rating and extended warranty as a big draw for the extra €10 per disk.
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
(01-10-2013 05:52 PM)tarasis Wrote:  My question after reading this thread is would a Green or Red be better for use in a Drobo (V2). I'm currently running 2x2TB WD20EARS and 2x1TB WD10EADS and have just ordered two 3TB reds to replace the 1's (funds don't stretch for 4 disks ATM).

As the Drobo was designed more for the average joe to stick whatever drive in, is it more designed to work with the regular drives than with something like the Reds (possibly using the TLER). I do see the lower temps, 24x7 rating and extended warranty as a big draw for the extra €10 per disk.

Also the RED's are cooler and the peace of mind for such little difference for me is worth it to purchase the RED's. I am very pleased with the performance from the RED's in the 5D.
01-12-2013, 02:56 AM
(01-09-2013 06:36 PM)NeilR Wrote:  It is actually surprising that Drobo swam upstream in that way, considering they are very alone in warrantying compatibility with consumer drives. ...

I think that this is the most salient point. NeilR, you write majestically.
01-12-2013, 04:50 AM
(01-10-2013 05:52 PM)tarasis Wrote:  My question after reading this thread is would a Green or Red be better for use in a Drobo (V2). I'm currently running 2x2TB WD20EARS and 2x1TB WD10EADS and have just ordered two 3TB reds to replace the 1's (funds don't stretch for 4 disks ATM).

Drobo's list of supported drive types indicates that, for V2, essentially all consumer and enterprise SATA drives are fully supported (see the check mark next the various types). So, based on that chart, your assumption would be incorrect.

Since most of us have always been concerned about heat, and considering the Red drives draw even less power than Green drives, personally I think it favors using Red drives, if for no other reason than thermal concerns.

That list indicates that for later, faster Drobos (such as 5D), Drobo is now recommending something "above" a Green Drive. Considering heat issues, I think Red would be the drive of choice.

01-12-2013, 11:51 AM
(01-12-2013 04:50 AM)NeilR Wrote:  Drobo's list of supported drive types indicates that, for V2, essentially all consumer and enterprise SATA drives are fully supported (see the check mark next the various types). So, based on that chart, your assumption would be incorrect.

From that chart, do we assume 4+5 Bay Drobo v1, Drobo v2, DroboS v1, DroboS v2 and the DroboFS are all covered by the "Drobo" column?
01-12-2013, 01:36 PM
(01-12-2013 11:51 AM)yoyoma Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 04:50 AM)NeilR Wrote:  Drobo's list of supported drive types indicates that, for V2, essentially all consumer and enterprise SATA drives are fully supported (see the check mark next the various types). So, based on that chart, your assumption would be incorrect.

From that chart, do we assume 4+5 Bay Drobo v1, Drobo v2, DroboS v1, DroboS v2 and the DroboFS are all covered by the "Drobo" column?

You raise a good point. Drobo's documentation all refers back to that product matrix. As products reach End Of Sale and Drobo removes them from that matrix, this also removes them from support documentation.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
01-12-2013, 02:02 PM
I hope it does, too late now anyway I've begun the ~50h migration/rebuilding having replaced one of my 1TB discs with a 3TB Red. Even with the Drobo hooked to a UPS it's still a nerve wracking period.
01-12-2013, 02:35 PM
I think there should be an easy to view matrix that definitely still includes a full list of any "do's and dont's" for all models - whether the models are still on sale (through the drobo store) or not.
because all models are STILL on sale on the web, even as new not just second hand etc)

i still have 4-slot models: a drobo gen1 (and a gen 2)
and i still have a 5-slot model: a drobo-s (gen-x?)

the 4slots are still very much on sale in lots of locations
and i havent even had my drobo-s for a year and suddenly it vanishes from the website? Smile

at the moment i see that page saying "drobo" to mean any other model not specifically shown in its own column.
otherwise, there definitely needs to be a way to cater for more models (even on a sub-page) so that those models are catered for in some way, whilst still presenting some kind of simplicity from a marketing point of view.

(its understandable that some models have some restrictions, such as the 1st Drobo-4slot-Gen1 only able to use up to 2TB drives, and some further requirements such as dashboard and firmware updates, and any future implications that those updates or firmwares might have) - but its very important i feel that all users drobo models (and those users might still be "new" to the world of drobo, even if their 1st legitimate purchase is one of the older models instead of the very latest) - because those uses are still KEY to the future of the company...

if they are neglected, or if they are not supported, or not given easy access to the info they need, then they are going to be put off and not become a future endorser of drobo products or recommend them etc.

its a tricky thing to try and address everything but is well worth it i believe.
(and as a user of the 3 drobo's i currently have, and possible purchaser of a 2nd drobo-s in future) i would like to believe that it can be addressed.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-12-2013, 07:27 PM
(01-12-2013 11:51 AM)yoyoma Wrote:  

I am assuming that "Drobo" in the compatibility chart means specifically Drobo V2 because the Drobo V2 has not been EOL'd. It is still listed for sale in the Drobo retail web site and it is still sold by Drobo's major retail distributors.

There are not that many EOL'd models here. I think it is inexcusable that Drobo has taken such a simple thing and made it so complicated, and forced their loyal users to speculate and guess on such an important matter. And I've said this before, and quite recently here.

If it were a concern to me, I would log a support case to get something from someone at Drobo in writing. I may do that even though I am quite sure that chart previously indicated that my S was compatible with (and fully recommended for) Red drives. Before they summarily de-listed it with the intro of the 5D.

I suspect that the fundamental nature of BeyondRaid, having been designed for every Sata drive in production back when (i.e. WD Green, Blue, Black, and RE) makes it a no-brainer for Red drives, with the Reds having the real world benefit of low power consumption - that always being a concern in any tiny disk box. But there I am speculating again...