Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Choosing the right drives for my Drobo 5D
01-02-2013, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 11:51 AM by m021478.)
Choosing the right drives for my Drobo 5D
I am about to pull the trigger on a new Drobo 5D, a set of five 3.5" drives, and a mSATA SSD Drive, and I just wanted to double check to make sure I'm getting the right drives for the 5D.

I've read over the recommendations found here which does steer me in the right direction for picking out an mSATA SSD drive for the 5D. I've got my eye on the Crucial m4 256GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive, but I'd like to know if it's better, worse, or makes no difference if I were to buy the 256GB drive over the 128GB drive? How does crucial stack up against other mSATA options? Not to sound conceded, but if money were no object, what would the absolute best option be as far as the mSATA drive is concerned.

Regarding the set of five 3.5" drives, which 3.5" 3TB drives are going to provide the best performance? Ideally a link to a purchase page on amazon would be great!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
RE: Choosing the right drives for my Drobo 5D
64GB is the recommend size, at the moment.

http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=13221&pid=5378

However, as drive sizes increase in the future, Drobo may change the optimization toward larger SSDs.
Then again, by then SSD prices will probably be down for the same size, so it's probably not worth getting too much larger than you need, unless there's some compelling reason like better speed or warranty on the larger model.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
01-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks for your feedback on the mSATA.

How about the Seagate Barracuda 7200 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s (ST3000DM001) for the 3.5" drives?
01-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Don't use super hot drives. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2294106/Photo%2...https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2294106/Photo%20Dec%2008%2C%2011%2043%205
Based on Zathrak's drives, I am not sure that there is any good recommendation. Unless the problem is that Zathrak is living on the Sun.
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=37243&pid=6595

Seriously, noise from fans would be my biggest concern, but you want high performance in a Drobo 5D, so go 7200rpm.
I think that the Drobo5D is rather new, so maybe not a lot of people can give you great personal recommendations, but the unit is similar to the DroboS and have good experience with the Seagate 2TB 5900rpm and the Hitachi 2TB&3TB 7200rpm.
01-03-2013, 01:55 PM
(01-02-2013 11:38 AM)m021478 Wrote:  I am about to pull the trigger on a new Drobo 5D, a set of five 3.5" drives, and a mSATA SSD Drive, and I just wanted to double check to make sure I'm getting the right drives for the 5D.

I've read over the recommendations found here which does steer me in the right direction for picking out an mSATA SSD drive for the 5D. I've got my eye on the Crucial m4 256GB mSATA Internal Solid State Drive, but I'd like to know if it's better, worse, or makes no difference if I were to buy the 256GB drive over the 128GB drive? How does crucial stack up against other mSATA options? Not to sound conceded, but if money were no object, what would the absolute best option be as far as the mSATA drive is concerned.

Regarding the set of five 3.5" drives, which 3.5" 3TB drives are going to provide the best performance? Ideally a link to a purchase page on amazon would be great!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

I have had the 5D for a while. I have 5 x WD 3TB RED drives and the crucial 256mb SSD and it runs like a champ far better than i expected and my expectations were set low from past Drobo unit reviews. The 5D Rocks.

With everything i have read on past raids from all sorts of companies i will only trust Red or Enterprise drives in a raid since the chance of standard drives reporting incorrectly and bricking the array or causing the unit to go into rebuild. The cost is minimal if you order from amazon or other online sources for the peace of mind that you get from RED's or Enterprise drives.

[Image: screen-shot-2013-01-03-at-12-37-11-pm.png]
01-04-2013, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 08:31 AM by Paul.)
im very interested in this new "HEALTH" entry... where it seems to show an overall status of the unit.
is this similar to the Iomega Zip drive Life status (where i believe it was counting 'numbers of spare sectors used' vs 'spare sectors available'?

or is it a basic 25% life based on number of hard drives working?
(or in msata only, is it number of times a 'sector/block has been used' vs 'total oem possible cycles count'?)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-04-2013, 08:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 08:51 AM by Zbig.)
(01-04-2013 08:29 AM)Paul Wrote:  im very interested in this new "HEALTH" entry... where it seems to show an overall status of the unit.
is this similar to the Iomega Zip drive Life status (where i believe it was counting 'numbers of spare sectors used' vs 'spare sectors available'?

(or in msata only, is it number of times a 'sector/block has been used' vs 'total oem possible cycles count'?)

If you look closer, Paul, it's the status for mSATA bay only. I believe it's what the SSD is reporting via SMART based on the spare flash sectors used.
01-04-2013, 09:16 AM
(01-04-2013 08:50 AM)Zbig Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 08:29 AM)Paul Wrote:  im very interested in this new "HEALTH" entry... where it seems to show an overall status of the unit.

If you look closer, Paul, it's the status for mSATA bay only. I believe it's what the SSD is reporting via SMART based on the spare flash sectors used.

The status is not just in the SSD you can get drive health as well by selecting the independent drives as seen below. each drive info has its own independent health status which i also believe is the S.M.A.R.T status of the selected drive.

[Image: image-drive-info.png]
01-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Yeah, the other HDDs will also show the health indicator but not the percentage. That is only for the SSDs.

After a timeout, bad block, etc., the health will go down and may say something like "Warning (Life 97%)"

Just stay away from those desktop class Green drives...
01-04-2013, 09:29 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 09:30 AM by masc2279.)
(01-04-2013 09:24 AM)Caleb Wrote:  Yeah, the other HDDs will also show the health indicator but not the percentage. That is only for the SSDs.

After a timeout, bad block, etc., the health will go down and may say something like "Warning (Life 97%)"

Just stay away from those desktop class Green drives...

I agree stay away from desktop drives and spend a bit more for the WD RED's or enterprise class drives and right now the price for RED's vs Standard or GREEN Drives are about $10 more. But the peace of mind is priceless. I have RED's and have been really happy on how quiet, smooth and cold running they are. I have had zero issues.