Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Drobo 5D never spins down
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
RE: Drobo 5D never spins down
(01-04-2013 10:15 AM)bhiga Wrote:  Sounds to me like something in the Drobo brain is in an infinite loop and just constantly rearranging data.
However, if this were the case, then Drobo would be continually processing and wouldn't cool down, even if it's supposedly asleep because it would still be working.

So it's more like something is causing it to think it continually needs to do stuff while it's connected to the Mac.
Mac OS doesn't have any automatic disk check/repair, indexing or defragmentation processes that run, does it?

Can you stop/pause the boot process on the Mac?
I want to see if it's purely the connection or if it's really something deep in the OS (since unmounting should remove programmatic access but you never know what the OS might be trying).

If you can't do it in Mac OS, you should be able to do it from the Windows BootCamp by bashing on F8 and leaving it at the boot menu and not letting it proceed to the OS boot.

Well i can tell you the computers are not the issue at least in my situation because you can shut down the MAC or the PC while the DROBO is connected and it goes into what should be sleep mode but 12+ hours later you still can feel and hear the DROBO. It does not go into a complete sleep. The computers are completely shut down and the issues remain.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Piggybacking off from Masc's response, I can say that whether or not it was an isolated incident, the time that Drobo #2 melted, the situation was that the Mac was completely powered down all night long, still connected via thunderbolt to the Drobo, and the drives must have spun all night long because I got up the next morning and was blown away by the drives still sitting there spinning at full speed even with the mac shut down...all to the point of the drive bays eventually melting off. Undecided

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
01-04-2013, 11:04 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 11:05 AM by masc2279.)
It happens on thunderbolt and usb. Also when the computer is in sleep or completely shut down and even when the DROBO is disconnected from the machine when the machine is off. There is no communication from anything and it still remains running and does not go into a complete sleep ever.
01-04-2013, 11:12 AM
@Masc: Just curious, you might check to see if Wake For Network Access is checked on your Mac and if it is, try unchecking it and see if anything changes after giving it a proper test.

(System Preferences > Energy Saver)

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
(01-04-2013 11:12 AM)Zathrak Wrote:  @Masc: Just curious, you might check to see if Wake For Network Access is checked on your Mac and if it is, try unchecking it and see if anything changes after giving it a proper test.

I worked for apple for 4 years and I am a software developer yes i have tested everything including a more important option on a mac which is power nap. All options have been tested and you are missing the point it can be completely disconnected off the machine MAC or PC and it still runs never entering a real sleep mode.
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
(01-04-2013 11:17 AM)masc2279 Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 11:12 AM)Zathrak Wrote:  @Masc: Just curious, you might check to see if Wake For Network Access is checked on your Mac and if it is, try unchecking it and see if anything changes after giving it a proper test.

I worked for apple for 4 years and I am a software developer yes i have tested everything including a more important option on a mac which is power nap. All options have been tested and you are missing the point it can be completely disconnected off the machine MAC or PC and it still runs never entering a real sleep mode.

Yikes, easy there killer. I'm on your team and am just throwing things out there to try. We're all desperately grabbing at straws at this point.

Zathrak

01-04-2013, 11:34 AM
(01-04-2013 11:28 AM)Zathrak Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 11:17 AM)masc2279 Wrote:  

Yikes, easy there killer. I'm on your team and am just throwing things out there to try. We're all desperately grabbing at straws at this point.

I know we are all garbing at straws and no disrespect or anger intended. I sometimes get to the point too directly. I am trying to help as well. In my situation i am not worried since i know the drives in the unit are designed to be run 24/7 but most are not and this can lead to issues for others and granted its wear no matter what which could be avoided.
01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
@Zathrak's earlier post: Yes, I'm wondering if the simple act of connection, even without a running OS, is somehow putting Drobo into the "confused" state.

Drobo itself never "sleeps" in the computer "suspend operations" sense of the term.

Even without being connected to a host, it will still do rebuild/relayout, optimization/housekeeping, scrubbing (on applicable models), and who knows what else.

So the possible Drobo states are:
a. Connected to host, active host data transfer, ongoing Drobo internal maintenance operations
b. Connected to host, active host data transfer, no Drobo internal maintenance operations
c. Connected to host, no host data transfer, ongoing Drobo internal maintenance operations
d. Connected to host, no host data transfer, no Drobo internal maintenance operations
e. Not connected to host, ongoing Drobo internal maintenance operations
f. Not connected to host, no Drobo internal maintenance operations

Drobo should be putting the drives to sleep (spinning them down) in situations d and f after the specified idle time.

So core questions are:
1. Does Drobo ever reach state d?
2. Does Drobo ever reach state f?

And if not... why is probably a question probably only Drobo can answer/diagnose.

I suppose it's possible that Drobo is still doing its internal maintenance, but if that is true, it points to much larger cooling design issue - the heat being generated is greater than the heat being exhausted, and the road leads to Zathrak's literal meltdown. Sad

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
@Bhiga: This makes sense to me. When you say that the Drobo should be spinning down in situations D & F, I take it that this overrides a literal 15min sleep setting in the dashboard, right? In other words, does setting it to 15min spin down in Drobo Dashboard mean "I'll spin down when I can based on scenarios D and F" rather than "I'll spin down after 15min of no data activity such as scenarios C-F (scenarios that I believed at one time to be the case)"?

I hope we don't have to rely on Drobo for this one...being that it's a several month old reported issue with no end in site after providing them with a book's worth of data on the matter. Alas, you might very well be right about that.

Zathrak

01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I have a different idea - was the fan in that second Drobo 5D installed backwards? It looks as if all the hot air from the drives was being blown forward onto the doors, rather than back out the exhaust. I've installed a fan in a Drobo - it's a trivial mistake to make, and might explain why that one died the way it did.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash