Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Drobo 5D never spins down
05-21-2013, 07:52 AM
RE: Drobo 5D never spins down
lolll!

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2015, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2015 08:17 AM by John.Abrams.)
so....resurrecting this sleep/spin-down thread. was this issue ever resolved? When I put my iMac to sleep, the 5D responds by dimming all the lights except the bottom left but the fan noise and maybe drive noise continues for hours. Sometimes, but not always, when I awaken the iMac after hours of sleep and the drobo comes online (I know this because all the lights illuminate), I hear what appears to be drives spinning up, but not always. Odd stuff. FWIW, I have not upgraded from 3.2 to 3.2.1 because everything else seems to be working.
11-12-2015, 08:30 AM
Hi John,

Not exactly. I haven't tested this after I stopped caring years ago but here's a few notes for you.

If I remember correctly, I think I recall this having something to do with the LED light setting (strange I know). Again, I didn't test this again but it seemed like when it was set to the default light setting (7?), it would spin down as needed *only* when nothing was accessing the drive *and* if there was no ongoing maintenance on the Drobo. This includes services like Crashplan and Backblaze which was the case for me. Since Crashplan was trying to back data up from the Drobo, it would never spin down, but even when I disabled the service entirely, it continued to not spin down, even after many days (weeks). To be fair, I dropped like 7TB of data on it when I first got it so there a great deal of maintenance to sort out on the Drobo side of things but after that seemed to be finished, it still didn't spin down. That brings me back to the LED lights. When I first got it, I set that to 10. When it was set at 10, it wouldn't spin down regardless of what was or wasn't happening on the Drobo. When it was set to 7 which I believe was default, it did spin down once or twice. Not sure if it was coincidence or not. I would also like to think that if it were a software/firmware-based issue, that would have been long since resolved. So if this is a new issue, it's probably a safe bet to rule that out.

Again, I've not pursued this after the saga documented above took place but I hope that helps you in some way and if you have any questions, I'll do my best to assist.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
11-16-2015, 04:00 AM
hmmm. I'll change the LEDs back to 7. I have no apps installed, so that doesn't apply to my situation. curious....