Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Drobo 5D never spins down
01-03-2013, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2013 03:11 PM by masc2279.)
RE: Drobo 5D never spins down
Here is a quick video of the units they are ice cold no heat at all and they are in sleep mode or at least should be in sleep mode but you can here the fans and the drives spinning.

I uploaded it to youtube but as an unlisted video.

Drobo 5D Sleep Mode Issue
(01-03-2013 02:04 PM)Zathrak Wrote:  VERY interesting and helpful feedback and images Masc. Well at least this adds some validity to the issue.

I just posted a video showing the unit still running on sleep mode.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
(01-01-2013 10:42 PM)Zathrak Wrote:  So, I've been working with Drobo tech support since the Drobo 5D came out, quite literally on this issue. I've also replaced the 5D three times to rule out the unit itself as best we can. It seems that no matter what I do (or don't do), the Drobo 5D will not spin down. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one with this issue.

A few things to note...

-The Drobo Dashboard is set to spin down at 15min.
-The Drobo was tested on both the original firmware and the latest firmware available.
-No data or read/write activity was active based on the blue indicator light at the bottom right of the unit for hours at a time.
-I've tested this with both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt
-I've tested this with 2 different Macs running 10.8 Mountain Lion
-The only way I've been able to have the disks spin down at all besides shutting it off completely is by shutting off the computer attached to it or disconnecting it from the Mac (sleep keeps the disks spinning). This of course puts the unit in to standby mode (blinking yellow power light).
-It's not the disks. I know this because I used 5 other different modeled disks in a second Drobo 5D while testing this and replicated the same issue.
-It's not the mSATA card as this issue happened in the second test Drobo 5D unit that didn't have the mSATA.
-It's not the data on the volume because the test Drobo was formatted and reset with no data on it and left alone, only to find the behavior continued.

Am I missing something? This is a big deal because the drives got so hot on the last Drobo that the door bays literally melted off and I needed to replace a 3TB HDD. (See Photo Here.)

I shouldn't have to shut down or unplug the Drobo in order to make it's underpowered fan not allow the unit to melt itself. The dashboard should shut it down after 15min of inactivity like it claims. I MUST be missing something...

I would love to know what model drives that you are using. I am using WD 3TB RED's and i have put the unit thru a heck of a punishment and the drives stay cool and the unit is never running on full fans.
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
The short version: I initially was using all 3TB Green drives when I first got the Drobo. Now I've upgraded them to the 7200RPM drives. Either configuration had the issue. Here are more details...

Drobo #2 (which was used for testing in the middle of this headache) had the following configuration with drive models:

Bay 0 - 3TB Western Digital / WD30EFRX-68A
Bay 1 - 3TB Western Digital / WD30EZRX-00M
Bay 2 - 3TB Western Digital / WD30EZRX-00M
Bay 3 - 1TB Western Digital / WD1001FALS-4
Bay 4 - 3TB Western Digital / WD30EZRX-00M
*All with 64MB Cache @ 5400RPM except Bay 3 @32MB. The 4 x 3TB WDs are "Green" drives supposedly.

Drobos #1 and #3 were the "permanent" disk pack with data and were configured like this:

Bay 0 - 3TB Seagate / ST3000DM001-9YN
Bay 1 - 3TB Hitachi / HDS72303
Bay 2 - 3TB Hitachi / HDS72303
Bay 3 - 3TB Hitachi / HDS72303
Bay 4 - 3TB Hitachi / HDS72303
mSATA - 64GB Crucial / M4-CT064M4SSD3
*All with 64MB Cache @7200 RPM excluding the mSATA of course.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
(01-03-2013 07:19 PM)Zathrak Wrote:  The short version: I initially was using all 3TB Green drives when I first got the Drobo. Now I've upgraded them to the 7200RPM drives. Either configuration had the issue. Here are more details...

Drobo #2 (which was used for testing in the middle of this headache) had the following configuration with drive models:

Bay 0 - 3TB Western Digital / WD30EFRX-68A
Bay 1 - 3TB Western Digital / WD30EZRX-00M
Bay 2 - 3TB Western Digital / WD30EZRX-00M
Bay 3 - 1TB Western Digital / WD1001FALS-4
Bay 4 - 3TB Western Digital / WD30EZRX-00M
*All with 64MB Cache @ 5400RPM except Bay 3 @32MB. The 4 x 3TB WDs are "Green" drives supposedly.

Drobos #1 and #3 were the "permanent" disk pack with data and were configured like this:

Bay 0 - 3TB Seagate / ST3000DM001-9YN
Bay 1 - 3TB Hitachi / HDS72303
Bay 2 - 3TB Hitachi / HDS72303
Bay 3 - 3TB Hitachi / HDS72303
Bay 4 - 3TB Hitachi / HDS72303
mSATA - 64GB Crucial / M4-CT064M4SSD3
*All with 64MB Cache @7200 RPM excluding the mSATA of course.

So you had more than one melt ?
01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
No no, only #2 melted. The first one got very very hot and I RMA'd it due to lack of confidence in the unit. At day 1, the drobo had 4 x 3TB green drives in there.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
01-04-2013, 09:02 AM
thanks for the extra (light reading information zathrak Smile

when reading more on your info, a thought crossed my mind about some other constants...
eg when you rma'd the main chassis unit, is it still using the original PSU and cabling - or was that swapped too?
(it might not be a cause but was wondering)

from having the issue, you're probably as keen to fix it (and eager to locate the problem) but from a data standpoint, before you try any big changes, just make sure you are ok with backups etc

also apart from the windows test, in your #1 and #3 units, (and from seeing masc's post too), you both had ssd's....
(reason i mention is that maybe the way data tiering takes place is also utilising some 'post-usage optimisation?)
i dont know for sure how that takes place, or if there are any specific 'coding rules' as to when to flag a drive or ssd as not needing to be in use - internally to drobo - but if there is a way to remove the ssd and to try the same shutdown/standby tests & PLEASE READ up on that or check with support first though as i do not know the process if its possible..it might be worth trying, just to eliminate ssd for sure.

(btw masc did you do any voice overs for a Harvest massive encounter game? - your voice sounds familiar) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-04-2013, 09:44 AM
@Paul: GREAT THOUGHT! Actually, when I RMAd the first unit, I kept the original PSU and interface cables and used it on the second one that eventually melted. I won't go as far as to say that this caused the melting because all 3 units have been excessively hot. When I RMAd unit #2, I did in fact swap out all cables and the PSU so that unit #3 and all of it's cables and PSU were utilized, having shipped back all of the cables prior.

I do have the disk pack mostly backed up in other locations if things were to go bad.

Regarding the mSATA SSD, I did in fact replicate the issue in #2 (without the SDD) when testing it against #3. Unfortunately, or fortunately, the SSD doesn't seem to be the culprit.

Zathrak

01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
oh ok, thanks for the info.
i'll keep thinking on the topic some more - but first need cake Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Sounds to me like something in the Drobo brain is in an infinite loop and just constantly rearranging data.
However, if this were the case, then Drobo would be continually processing and wouldn't cool down, even if it's supposedly asleep because it would still be working.

So it's more like something is causing it to think it continually needs to do stuff while it's connected to the Mac.
Mac OS doesn't have any automatic disk check/repair, indexing or defragmentation processes that run, does it?

Can you stop/pause the boot process on the Mac?
I want to see if it's purely the connection or if it's really something deep in the OS (since unmounting should remove programmatic access but you never know what the OS might be trying).

If you can't do it in Mac OS, you should be able to do it from the Windows BootCamp by bashing on F8 and leaving it at the boot menu and not letting it proceed to the OS boot.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
01-04-2013, 10:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2013 10:53 AM by Zathrak.)
@Paul: CAKE!!! NOM NOM NOM!!! #Priorities ;-)

@Bhiga: I would agree with your feeling about this. However, being that I'm new to the Drobo family as of the 5D, I don't have a good deal of intimate knowledge on the subject matter just yet. The behavior completely suggests that if everything is in fact running the way it should be and there is no funny business with anything relative to the hardware, it would surely suggest the Drobo is trying to clean up data and rearrange it for what seems to be an endless cycle. While I've got 6.8TB of 10.8 used, it's been sitting there on for what's got to be a cumulative month. I'd like to think it hashed out the data by then if it needed to.

To answer your question as best I can, there is a verbose mode for OS X that developers use for troubleshooting, however I'm not too familiar with it. If I got in to verbose mode, I'm not sure how I'd go about identifying the point you brought up about being purely the connection or not.

Are you inquiring as to if the Drobo will go in to standby when the Mac is powered on but sitting at the boot menu (not yet using a boot source)?

[Image: Capture.JPG]
[Image: Capture2.JPG]

Zathrak