Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Drobo 5D never spins down
01-01-2013, 10:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 09:43 AM by Zathrak.)
Drobo 5D never spins down
So, I've been working with Drobo tech support since the Drobo 5D came out, quite literally on this issue. I've also replaced the 5D three times to rule out the unit itself as best we can. It seems that no matter what I do (or don't do), the Drobo 5D will not spin down. I'm hoping that I'm not the only one with this issue.

A few things to note...

-The Drobo Dashboard is set to spin down at 15min.
-The Drobo was tested on both the original firmware and the latest firmware available.
-No data or read/write activity was active based on the blue indicator light at the bottom right of the unit for hours at a time.
-I've tested this with both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt
-I've tested this with 2 different Macs running 10.8 Mountain Lion
-The only way I've been able to have the disks spin down at all besides shutting it off completely is by shutting off the computer attached to it or disconnecting it from the Mac (sleep keeps the disks spinning). This of course puts the unit in to standby mode (blinking yellow power light).
-It's not the disks. I know this because I used 5 other different modeled disks in a second Drobo 5D while testing this and replicated the same issue.
-It's not the mSATA card as this issue happened in the second test Drobo 5D unit that didn't have the mSATA.
-It's not the data on the volume because the test Drobo was formatted and reset with no data on it and left alone, only to find the behavior continued.

Am I missing something? This is a big deal because the drives got so hot on the last Drobo that the door bays literally melted off and I needed to replace a 3TB HDD. [https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2294106/Drobo%20Melted.jpg](See Photo Here.)[/url]

I shouldn't have to shut down or unplug the Drobo in order to make it's underpowered fan not allow the unit to melt itself. The dashboard should shut it down after 15min of inactivity like it claims. I MUST be missing something...

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-01-2013, 10:51 PM
RE: Drobo 5D never spins down
Is the volume mounted at all on the Mac? I assume you've tried unmounting it in addition to all of the steps above. If the drive is unmounted, then the host OS can't be writing anything to it.

And damn, but that photo. You know that ovens aren't normal operating environments, right? Wink

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
01-01-2013, 11:07 PM
You know, I don't think I did try dismounting it entirely. I will give that a spin tomorrow (pun completely intended). Great idea btw.

I know?! You'd never believe me if I told you that the host machine was turned off completely when Drobo #2 melted.

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt
01-02-2013, 07:16 AM
While this was a great idea to test, I've found that after completely dismounting the Drobo volume (albeit still plugged in via thunderbolt) from the Mac for 30 min, it still remained on and active.

Zathrak

01-02-2013, 09:33 AM
A long time ago, I remember that certain...Macs, I believe...didn't send the "power down" or "disconnected" (or whatever) signal over Firewire, which caused the Drobo 4-bay to not sleep when it was still electrically connected to the host.

Maybe this is a similar situation.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
01-02-2013, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 11:28 AM by bhiga.)
Just curious, what's your install environment and ambient temperature? I've built RAID boxes that literally overheated drives, but never got to the plastic melting point. Well... now that I think about it, those boxes were 90% metal, but still!

Also, the fan should be providing enough cooling that thing won't melt - regardless of whether the drives are spinning or not.

In other words - the lack of spin down isn't your core issue here - heat/cooling is.
Getting the drives to spin down will only "band-aid" your problem until you again reach the point of enough constant use that things melt again.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
01-02-2013, 01:09 PM
"Is your Drobo rebuilding the disk pack, or is it just happy to see me?"
Big Grin

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
01-02-2013, 03:02 PM
@RDO: Interesting...I'll ask the Drobo engineers about that.

@Bhiga: You're on to something. The Drobo 5D, as you said is 90% metal with wimpy plastic bay doors. The room the Drobo is in is 65 degrees fahrenheit 100% of the time which is frankly cooler than many rooms in which these units are stored. It's sitting on a wooden shelving unit within nothing but air around all of the sides, front, and back, with nothing stacked on top or around it. I've run this beast with the Drobo bay cover on and off with no difference. The fan on all 3 Drobo 5Ds were wimpy in my opinion but are probably functioning the way they should be. I'd like to think that you're right when you say "In other words - the lack of spin down isn't your core issue here - heat/cooling is." It was my impression that I could load 7200RPM drives in the Drobo 5D and leave it on 100% of the time, never reaching excessive temps. Is it not the case? I'm assuming many Drobo users never power off or spin down their drives? Aside from swapping out ice packs or setting the Drobo up outside in the snow, there isn't much more that can be done to influence the temp of the unit...environmentally anyways. Does this make sense?

Zathrak

01-02-2013, 03:15 PM
@Zathak: What you say makes sense, and is deeply worrying for me, as the 5N I have pre-ordered has the same cooling system. The FS had a louder fan that was a problem for many people (myself included), but substituting a fan that can't actually keep the unit cooled is too far in the other direction!

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
01-02-2013, 03:27 PM
@DiamondSW: Completely agreed. I'm now on my 3rd Drobo 5D (which has only been released for a month or so). I'm really hoping I'm missing something...

Zathrak