Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upgrading from Drobo S?
01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
RE: Upgrading from Drobo S?
thanks for the info caleb.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Only 64-bit XP supports GPT (due to it sharing core elements with Server 2003).
That said, I would not recommend anyone to run 64-bit XP except where something simply does not work in 64-bit Vista or 64-bit Windows 7 but somehow does magically work in 64-bit XP.

I ran 64-bit XP for a year and got tired of having to hack installers for things like QuickTime just to get them to install, and it behaving strangely on things it shouldn't like .NET Framework.

It's the intersection of XP and Server 2003 - the dangerous intersection where cars crash into each other all the time. Wink

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
02-01-2013, 10:01 PM
i think its a shame that win7 64-bit doesnt accept basic programs that used to run fine on win9x or win xp 32 bit.

its almost as if someones trying to "phase out" all of the software/demos/programs etc made in the past.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
02-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Realistically, the incidence of "stuff doesn't work in 64-bit Win 7 when they worked in XP" has been low for me, and I have a fair library of old (2000 or earlier) software:
  1. The program is 16-bit or uses 16-bit components.
    (64-bit Win 7 doesn't have 16-bit thunking (WoW32), only 32-bit thunking (WoW64),that said, if you have Win 7 Professional or higher, you can use XP mode which is a 32-bit XP Virtual Machine that would then give you indirect access to WoW32.
  2. The program requires access to hardware which does not have a 64-bit driver.
    By far, this is the largest case for modern times.
    If the device is networked, USB, or can be connected via USB, it can be accessed from a virtual XP machine, either through XP Mode or via a USB-over-network device like a Silex USB Device Server.
    It's a bit roundabout, but it works (this is how I continue to print to my Primera Inscripta disc printer).
  3. The program requires Real Mode. (Technically this falls under the above)
  4. The program tries to use some very direct or specific access to hardware or detection of hardware.
    The only thing I've encountered so far that does this is the Western Digital WDDiag floppy writer. For whatever reason it won't detect a USB floppy drive or virtual floppy on 64-bit Win 7. The same USB floppy drive works fine on XP.
  5. The program uses API system calls in some unsupported manner, or essentially "exploits" some hole or bug in XP.
    For example, something that relies on a data or stack overrun condition to work may not work if that condition has been patched or behaves differently in WoW64 (Windows on Windows 64, which is the 32-bit thunking layer).
At some point we may start seeing "mini VMs" that wrap around super-old programs that monolithic organizations still need. This is close to what XP Mode does, except XP Mode's VM is shared across all the "old" applications, and it's full XP.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.