Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upgrading from Drobo S?
01-07-2013, 10:12 AM
RE: Upgrading from Drobo S?
(01-06-2013 10:21 PM)rdo Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 07:12 PM)yoyoma Wrote:  For Drobo S, can migrate to Drobo 5D, provided the Dashboard 2.3.2/Firmware 3.0.2 bundle is installed in the 5D.

Please circle Y/N ?

Official documentation says "yes." Go for it.

Just to be pedantic, am I correct that the above is only strictly true if the disk pack had never resided on a Drobo V2?

The OP does not mention Drobo V2, I only bring this up in order clarify the discussion for others that may have migrated up from Drobo V2 to Drobo S and now considering a 5D.

My own data is worth some pedanticisms :-)

Win7 Pro, via Rosewill RC-219 eSata HBA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 11:08 AM by Paul.)
i think its a valid question

if a drobo-s already does the necessary to a v2 diskpack, then fair enough
though if a v2 diskpack, migrated to drobo-s could cause any issues whatsoever when going from that drobo-s into a 5D, than it's worth knowing about (and beforehand too)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-07-2013, 11:19 AM
(01-07-2013 10:12 AM)NeilR Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 10:21 PM)rdo Wrote:  Official documentation says "yes." Go for it.

Just to be pedantic, am I correct that the above is only strictly true if the disk pack had never resided on a Drobo V2?

Drobo's online documentation doesn't have any caveats, but I understand why you're asking.
You could open a tech support case and see if they provide more details.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
01-07-2013, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 01:08 PM by NeilR.)
To again try to be clear, I am basing my suggestion on this statement from the Drobo Migration page:

"**Disk Packs created or updated on Drobo firmware version 1.4.0 mounted on a Mac cannot be migrated to Drobo S firmware version 2.1.1 and earlier or DroboPro firmware version 1.2.1 or Drobo 5D."

To me, that clearly says that if, for example, a Drobo V2 were updated from FW 1.3.7 to 1.4.0, and then subsequently updated to 1.4.1 or 1.4.2, that pack is still, to this day, not to be further upgraded, to either a Drobo S or 5D. And apparently that only applies to Drobo volumes formatted under Mac OS, not packs created in Windows NTFS.

Edit: can't seem to get that right :-)

I think this is confused by contradictory statements on various Drobo pages that were written in the past but still on the site. As near as I can figure this migration page is the most current and most "official and up to date" statement by Drobo.

Apparently at one point in time Drobo had even more restrictions on the 5D and possibly Drobo S versions, that have been resolved in subsequent firmware updates.

Since I am not affected by this I don't think I am the right guy to initiate a support case for clarification. I think that should come from someone with skin in the game, or maybe from a Drobo Rep patrolling the forums, as we used to have (hint hint- where is our Drobo tech rep?).

Edit: your link to KB 274 and my link to the "Migration Page- outside the KB system) are at odds. Drobo definitely needs to get them in sync!!!!

01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
IIRC, firmware 1.4.0 has a number of issues that were fixed in 1.4.1 and subsequent firmware versions. For example, I think 1.4.0 also broke DroboShare support.

There were two fixes migration-wise:
1. Drobo v2 firmware got updated post v1.4.0 (likely to avoid causing the problem to begin with)
2. Drobo S and Drobo Pro firmware got updated (likely to deal with the problem if it was encountered)

I have vague recollection of Sky saying that the 5D firmware was also updated, but 5D is too short a search term so I can't confirm.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
01-07-2013, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 04:35 PM by NeilR.)
I agree with that Brandon., but if those various firmware fixes fully resolved the problem then that double asterisk footnote I quoted just above would not have been written the way it is. It would just say something more like "get both boxes current before migrating", which was exactly the case for me, previous to 1.4.0. So I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
I think Drobo needs to give us a way to flag their KB articles for review. Smile

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
01-08-2013, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2013 11:14 AM by NeilR.)
(01-08-2013 10:49 AM)bhiga Wrote:  I think Drobo needs to give us a way to flag their KB articles for review. Smile

Even better, they might want to just read what their customers have to say here :-).

Congratulations on getting banned. :-)
(01-07-2013 03:27 PM)bhiga Wrote:  2. Drobo S and Drobo Pro firmware got updated (likely to deal with the problem if it was encountered)

I have vague recollection of Sky saying that the 5D firmware was also updated, but 5D is too short a search term so I can't confirm.

The KB article is dated 11/9/2012, and that article promises a "future update to Drobo S and DroboPro to fix this issue". The last update to the Drobo S firmware was in June 2012, and the last firmware update to the DroboPro was dated late October 2012, shortly before the KB article was written or last updated.

Those two promised future firmware updates have not happened and now the Drobo S is no longer current product. So that does not bode well for that box, at least for the affected V2 units.

The 5D has been updated since then, and after re-reading and thinking through all the possibilities in terms of what is the latest of the two conflicting pieces of advice, it is logical to assume that the 5D may indeed be "fully safe" now for all prior migration packs. The S is another story, and what I was concentrating on. Yea, I know... thread drift of sorts.

01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
i think if i were to buy a 5D in future (and still having an existing drobo with disk pack etc)
i would not migrate. i would set it up fresh and copy the data to it.

(i really ought to start a new thread for this. but does anyone know offhand if these new drobo units, D/N/mini etc are compatible with older windows systems pre-win7?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-10-2013, 11:22 AM
(01-08-2013 02:30 PM)Paul Wrote:  (i really ought to start a new thread for this. but does anyone know offhand if these new drobo units, D/N/mini etc are compatible with older windows systems pre-win7?

Hey Paul, I've seen a 5D connected to XP and OS X 10.6 machines and in all cases it didn't show up in Dashboard but it would show up as a drive when connected on USB.

It would not connect to the Mac on Thunderbolt, and as you probably already know, it doesn't show up on the PC on Thunderbolt either.

I suppose you could format the Drobo from a "supported" OS via Dashboard and then use it from an "unsupported" OS as long as that OS can read the formatting type (not all versions of XP support GPT).