Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Upgrading from Drobo S?
01-05-2013, 11:12 AM
RE: Upgrading from Drobo S?
(01-05-2013 11:01 AM)NeilR Wrote:  if there are potential insidious yet hidden problems with old firmware builds, why doesn't Drobo indicate in Dashboard the firmware version that built the array?

I completely agree. Unfortunately, there are quite a few important data which Drobo actively hides from the consumer. I lump this into the "because they haven't had a user revolt" category of reasoning.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 11:32 AM
(01-05-2013 11:12 AM)rdo Wrote:  [quote='NeilR' pid='67027' dateline='1357405289']
...I lump this into the "because they haven't had a user revolt" category of reasoning.

Funny :-). But in truth, I think of the Drobo as the "hi-tech device everyone loves to hate".

You don't see that attitude here, among the Truly Devout (who better understand the product) but I see it everywhere else Drobos are discussed. I just went through this in a photographer's forum, in a thread titled "Drobo Sucks".

I'm just suggesting there has been a "User Revolt", to a great degree, and always has been, since the early days, and I think it has cost Drobo a lot of sales. It is truly one of the most misunderstood hi-tech devices ever marketed and sold to the general public.

I like my Drobo S, and I publicly support it, with what I think are some valid caveats, but it definitely has some "quirks". And many of those quirks, like this issue we are struggling with, are unnecessary and could be solved if Drobo paid better attention to the small details that could be easily and cheaply addressed.

I have no doubt that the diagnostic log has the original firmware version recorded, and in principle someone could send a log to Drobo support to check that, and I suspect they would get an answer. It is just an unnecessary inconvenience for the user and a time sink for Drobo support.

I also have an issue that, for example, the Drobo S has been removed from Drobo's hard drive matrix. It gives the sense that with each model change the old users, who paid a huge premium for what is supposedly a premium product, are quickly abandoned. And again, I'm sure a quick email to support will settle that, assuming one still has current Drobocare, but it is one more reason there are entire web sites devoted to "Drobo Sucks", right wrong or indifferent.

Win7 Pro, via Rosewill RC-219 eSata HBA
01-06-2013, 09:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 09:10 AM by Paul.)
ah the version migration parts/paths were on my mind especially when i createda post before at here:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php

ultimately its good that the version info is at least in the logs, because over time, it's quite hard to remember exactly what experiences the drobo has 'experienced', and its especially important in case a future action/firmware/update etc were to cause a drobo to experience something rather unpleasant - if you know what i mean Smile
Ideally (and maybe some of this is already employed?)

i think the Drobo unit's themselves (and all incremental versions of dashboard etc)
should Always be "aware" of each and every previous version, firmware, and do's and don'ts.

so if you try to upgrade to a new version, the software updater/installer should be able warn you on Any potential conflict based on your existing setup/computer configs, so that if something would stop working, or cause a drobo to no longer be compatible with a particular/or particular older operating system - it would warn you so you can instead 'rethink your intent'.

that would most probably require significant efforts in coding, and proof-reading by technical document writers, but i think it would make the Ultimate Drobo.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
01-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Paul, reading back through your links, it appears that "created or updated in FW version x.xxx" is more likely the intent, not "created in...".

This all jogs a vague memory that when I got my Drobo S I read the migration notes and determined that basically all I needed to do was get both the Drobo V2 and the S firmware up to date and then switch packs. And that would be just a common sense migration plan, regardless of specific instructions.

I think all this discussion of needing to know what firmware *created* the pack is irrelevant.

01-06-2013, 09:50 AM
(01-06-2013 09:31 AM)NeilR Wrote:  I think all this discussion of needing to know what firmware *created* the pack is irrelevant.

It very well could be irrelevant at a technical level, but Drobo has phrased it thus in their support matrix.

When I first got my DroboPro, I had a series of drive failures. After replacing about 6 drives in 3 weeks, I opened a ticket with Drobo to ask what the blazes was going on. At one point, the tech informed me that using "Green" drives was unsupported, so I must understand if things didn't work properly.
He accepted my argument that it was all RAID Edition drives that had failed, but for a few minutes I thought he was going to walk me off the "scope of support" gangplank.

-unknown
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Here is the email from Drobo...

Hello Matthew Griffin,

Your case number is:

If the original Disk Pack in your Drobo Gen 2 was created or updated on Firmware 1.4.0, you cannot migrate to a 5D.

Please generate a diagnostic file from your Drobo and upload it to this case so I can check to see what version of Firmware your Disk Pack was created on.

Procedure for generating a diagnostic file can be found here: http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/83/

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Reading this thread and getting more confused, the more off topic you go.
For Drobo S, can migrate to Drobo 5D, provided the Dashboard 2.3.2/Firmware 3.0.2 bundle is installed in the 5D.

Please circle Y/N ?
01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
(01-06-2013 07:12 PM)yoyoma Wrote:  For Drobo S, can migrate to Drobo 5D, provided the Dashboard 2.3.2/Firmware 3.0.2 bundle is installed in the 5D.

Please circle Y/N ?

Official documentation says "yes." Go for it.

-unknown
01-07-2013, 08:25 AM
(01-06-2013 10:21 PM)rdo Wrote:  
(01-06-2013 07:12 PM)yoyoma Wrote:  For Drobo S, can migrate to Drobo 5D, provided the Dashboard 2.3.2/Firmware 3.0.2 bundle is installed in the 5D.

Please circle Y/N ?

Official documentation says "yes." Go for it.

rdo, thanks.
01-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Just to add some clarity to my comments...

I probably upgraded to the S from Drobo V2 firmware 1.3.7. The 1.4.0 firmware added >2TB drive support to V2. And it appears, from the docs, that the use of that particular version created some "permanent" problems. Things were simpler when I upgraded prior to that FW version, and that is part of my earlier confusion.

I'm going to drop out of this discussion since I don't have any experience with the 1.4.x firmware era and it is not 100% clear what they are trying to say, except perhaps 1.4.0 poisoned the array, in terms of upgrading it to new boxes. If it were me, and I had used that version I would probably rebuild my array, for no other reason than to avoid these complexities. And I don't like complexities with my storage arrays. Not suggesting it can't be done, but that is how I re-read things.