Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
crucial msata how to update firmware?
12-29-2012, 05:01 AM
crucial msata how to update firmware?
Hi, as the title says is there any way to update the firmware while its in the drobo 5d? I only ask as i have no computer with a msata (pci-e) slot to perform this task. If anyone else has a solution that would be great Smile

thx

Andy
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2012, 07:40 AM
RE: crucial msata how to update firmware?
One cannot update firmware on a hard drive while the drive is installed in a Drobo.
http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/det...http://support.drobo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/237/kw/update%20Seagate%

I don't know the 5D, but I would guess it's a similar situation with the mSATA card.

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
12-29-2012, 09:04 AM
thanks for the reply, okay it looks like I'll have to find someone who has a PC with a pci-e slot
12-29-2012, 09:18 AM
maybe one of those adapters such as the icydock range would help?
i havent tried one but they make all sorts of adapters with usb connections and others.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-29-2012, 06:13 PM
(12-29-2012 05:01 AM)andyroberts Wrote:  Hi, as the title says is there any way to update the firmware while its in the drobo 5d? I only ask as i have no computer with a msata (pci-e) slot to perform this task. If anyone else has a solution that would be great Smile

thx

Andy

mSATA is not the same as PCI Express. You'd want to take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSATA#mSATA
12-31-2012, 12:02 PM
You just need a SATA controller and an adapter like this.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
12-31-2012, 06:11 PM
Any idea if firmware updaters like from Crucial et al will work across a USB-Micro SATA adapter? Beyond the limitation of not updating inside the Drobo, I wouldn't be able to install this on a direct SATA bus either (the result of using all laptops).

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
01-01-2013, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2013 09:22 AM by Zbig.)
(12-31-2012 06:11 PM)diamondsw Wrote:  Any idea if firmware updaters like from Crucial et al will work across a USB-Micro SATA adapter? Beyond the limitation of not updating inside the Drobo, I wouldn't be able to install this on a direct SATA bus either (the result of using all laptops).

I think it might be dependent on the particular combination of the following:
  • SSD controller
  • USB -> SATA bridge chipset
  • Drive manufacturer's firmware update program implementation

In other words, you may not find out until you try Wink BTW, you have eSATA (or eSATA/USB combo) ports on some laptops (I had one on my previous machine).
01-05-2013, 11:47 AM
(12-31-2012 12:02 PM)bhiga Wrote:  You just need a SATA controller and an adapter like this.

cheers for that, i bought one just like it borrowed a netbook took out the drive plugged my msata card into the adaptor connected it to the sata port and bingo i flashed the firmware with a bootable usb stick i'd already created Smile
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Might want to check this out...

(01-10-2013 04:08 PM)sszyszka Wrote:  A friend of mine just sent me this, not sure how much it matters in the Drobo, but felt I'd throw it out there:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthr...http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?thread

Zathrak

Drobo 5D | 64GB Crucial m4 SSD | 5 x 3TB Hitachi | Late 2012 iMac Intel Core i7 3.4Ghz, OS X Mountain Lion via Thunderbolt