Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo mini slower than single SSD!!
12-29-2012, 03:59 AM
Drobo mini slower than single SSD!!
I just bought my Drobo mini putting in 4 Samsung 830 256GB drives

I tested on a using the seagate thunderbolt adaptor and is getting around 300MB/s for a single drive

Now with 4 I am getting 250ish for write speed and 320s for read speed.

Why is it so slow?

Mac Retina with Mountain Lion

Any advice?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2012, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-29-2012 09:16 AM by Paul.)
RE: Drobo mini slower than single SSD!!
hi chyer, welcome to the forum.

usually when a drobo is new (or when changes are made to it's configuration etc), there can be some background processes taking place on the unit. (it's also known as housekeeping which take place after lots of data changes too).
if you can wait a bit, and try the same test tomorrow does it show any better?

also, when you have more drives in the system, there is also a bit more data integrity work that needs to take place, as more drives are used for the data and protection too.

reading is usually quicker than writing, but see if you can try the same tests later on to see if its any better?
(theres also other factors that can effect transfer speeds, such as programs running in the background, or the computer doing something else, or even automatic things like scanning and indexing, which come and go, so its always good to try the same test more than once) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
So, 250 MB/s from a resilient mass storage device is considered "so slow" by some nowadays... Heh, I must be getting old Wink

@chyer: Drobo is not designed to beat world records in throughput. Its main task is to protect your data. And the fact that it's able to do that at "mere" 250 MB/s speed is nothing short of mind blowing to me. There's a serious math going on the fly. It's not like it was ever going to be 4 times the maximum speed of a single SSD. If you expected that, then your expectations were wrong, unfortunately. It's not RAID0.
12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
So, 250 MB/s from a resilient mass storage device is considered "so slow" by some nowadays... Heh, I must be getting old Wink

@chyer: Drobo is not designed to beat world records in throughput. Its main task is to protect your data. And the fact that it's able to do that at "mere" 250 MB/s speed is nothing short of mind blowing to me. There's a serious math going on the fly. It's not like it was ever going to be 4 times the maximum speed of a single SSD. If you expected that, then your expectations were wrong, unfortunately. It's not RAID0.
12-31-2012, 12:01 PM
And RAID-0 = lose one, lose all your data! No protection.

Drobo is most similar to RAID-5 in single disk redundancy and RAID-6 in dual disk redundancy, but there's a lot more magic stuff that happens behind the scenes like the fact that it only deals with used blocks, rather than all of them.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM
(12-29-2012 09:13 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi chyer, welcome to the forum.

usually when a drobo is new (or when changes are made to it's configuration etc), there can be some background processes taking place on the unit. (it's also known as housekeeping which take place after lots of data changes too).
if you can wait a bit, and try the same test tomorrow does it show any better?

also, when you have more drives in the system, there is also a bit more data integrity work that needs to take place, as more drives are used for the data and protection too.

reading is usually quicker than writing, but see if you can try the same tests later on to see if its any better?
(theres also other factors that can effect transfer speeds, such as programs running in the background, or the computer doing something else, or even automatic things like scanning and indexing, which come and go, so its always good to try the same test more than once) Smile

Thanks for the advice, will try it again tmr. I am not expecting it to be 4x faster but slower than a single drive is really unexpected. I bought this to edit 4k videos so every bit of data transfer speed is needed.

By the way, since I see that drobo has tested it with the Samsung SSDs, what is the expected speed? I just need a benchmark.
12-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Editing 4K video is one of the situations when I would recommend RAID-0!

Wait... what compression is your 4K stuff? I mean, you have less than a terabyte of storage here...

Store the footage on RAID-0 and keep the project files and related assets on Drobo.

01-01-2013, 11:42 PM
(12-31-2012 05:01 PM)bhiga Wrote:  Editing 4K video is one of the situations when I would recommend RAID-0!

Wait... what compression is your 4K stuff? I mean, you have less than a terabyte of storage here...

Store the footage on RAID-0 and keep the project files and related assets on Drobo.

I am editing short form stuff here so the space is not an issue.

Storing the stuff in another RAID-0 drive does not make sense and I expected the drobo to be the main drive. On other post drobo and some other post suggested that the drobo should be backed up because it is RAID. Backing up the back up??

So far the speed has increased a little bit overall, will wait for a few more days for it to improve.
01-02-2013, 11:19 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 11:20 AM by bhiga.)
Ahh, if you're just doing short-form then as long as you have adequate space for your needs...

However, Backup is very different from Fault-tolerance.

Fault-tolerance only saves you recovery time from having to restore your data from backups.

Fault-tolerance won't do diddly to help you if...
  • You accidentally delete or overwrite important data
  • Malware deletes, replaces or corrupts important data
  • Your filesystem gets irreparably corrupted because of a virus, crash, or power outage during a critical write
  • Your spouse/kid/neighbor/enemy decides they want to bulk-rename all your files and move them into random folders
  • Drobo bursts into flames
  • The Universe decides to do some other mean thing

Only a recent backup, stored on another device, will save you from those situations.

01-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Fault tolerance: run-flat tires
Backup: roadside assistance service

(Oh, save us! Another dreadful car analogy!)

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown