Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo mini with ssd. Do i need the msata card
12-28-2012, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2012 02:53 PM by onlyalex.)
Drobo mini with ssd. Do i need the msata card
Hi i just got my first drobo unit. I thought the mini would be a nice addon to my upcoming 2012 imac. I have read up on the unit and it's capabilities but have not find any answer to my question so was hoping someone here can help me.

Im using drobo mini with 1x samsung 840 pro 512gig, soon 2x. Now i no that the pro model is not on the compability list but i took the plunge anyway since it's the same controller as the 840 model and i have yet encounterd any problems.

What i do wonder is. If i load the mini with only ssd disk. Do i need or can benefit from adding an msata ssd card? Or could that actualy make the unit slower since no msata ssd card has the same raw speed as the samsung 840 pro disk.

Any thought on this are mutch appriciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-29-2012, 12:04 AM
RE: Drobo mini with ssd. Do i need the msata card
That depends on the type of data & purpose of your Mini. Our experience is for small files including office files, photos, small videos, the SSD w/ M-SATA will definitely boost Read/Write but when copying large videos doesn't seem to make much diff. We are also using Samsung 840 but the 840Pro is over our budget. According to our supplier, the Samsung 840 Pro should be the fastest consumer drive b/f getting into the Enterprise series from Crucial & Intel. However, we got burned by those Intel SSD w/ the 2.5" plastic bracket that came & mounted on their drives. Actually, one of our customers did & the Mini was damaged beyond repair cuz once inserted into the Mini, it won't let you remove it unless open up the enclosure. Drobo Support told us to remove it by force but that damaged the metal mounting clip inside the Mini and caused permanent damage to the slot. Our 1st RMA of the Mini. :-(
01-03-2013, 02:37 AM
RE: Drobo mini with ssd. Do i need the msata card
Thanks for the info.
I willnot load any msata card to my drobo since i belive that will actualy be a botleneck in my case.

Great info about the intel drives sorry you had to learn it the hard way. Many others will have the luck to read yourpost before attempting to use it.

BR.