Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
is 2tb WD20NPVT compatible with the mini
12-23-2012, 11:38 PM
is 2tb WD20NPVT compatible with the mini
like the subject says, is the 2tb wd WD20NPVT compatible with the drobo mini?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-24-2012, 12:34 AM
RE: is 2tb WD20NPVT compatible with the mini
Afraid not - that drive is 15mm tall, and the Mini only accepts up to 9mm drives. Honestly, I have no idea what you'd put a 15mm 2.5-inch drive in - nothing will accept something that tall.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
12-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Is that a definitive answer, or still somewhat tentative? Do you have a link to Drobo Mini spec which mentions only up to 9 mm? Do you own Drobo Mini to check?
I know examples of successful use of 15 mm drive in Macbook pro 17" (before it became extinct), and in some external slim enclosures.
My thought is that we need someone with Drobo Mini to check. Even if the spec mentions 9 mm, there just MIGHT be some additional clearance space to fit the drive.
(12-24-2012 12:34 AM)diamondsw Wrote:  Afraid not - that drive is 15mm tall, and the Mini only accepts up to 9mm drives. Honestly, I have no idea what you'd put a 15mm 2.5-inch drive in - nothing will accept something that tall.
12-02-2013, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 11:00 AM by bhiga.)
Given that the Drobo Mini spec page states specifically:
Quote:Capacity

Up to four (4) 2.5" SATA II / III hard disk drives or solid state drives (sold separately)
and one (1) mSATA solid state drive (sold separately)
7 mm and 9.5 mm in height (sold separately)
and one (1) mSATA solid state drive (sold separately)
Even if some specific make/model of 15 mm drive were to physically squeeze into the space, Drobo does not support that configuration and it could even void your warranty.

Besides, do you really want to risk your data to an unsupported configuration? IMO, that's just a recipe for future heartbreak and headache. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.