Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
RE: Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
the computer / dashboard doesnt affect drobo's rebuild - its a totally internal process

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
For what it's worth, the rebuild took forever for me as well. I went from a 4x2TB to replacing one of the drives with a 3TB (new configuration is 3TB+2TB+2TB+2TB). The rebuild started Wednesday 1:30PM and went through Monday 9AM, nearly 5 days!! Drobo seems to be working just fine. Now that I know the 3TB works, I will slowly start replacing the 2TB's with 3TB's. The new Dashboard also seems to be more stable than the previous version of Dashboard. This is all running on MacOSX Lion 10.7.1
10-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Drobo2112,

If you are going to upgrade the other 3 drives, and if you have a good backup, you have to think about the advisability of just doing the upgrade all at once with a pin reset and reload of the data.

The last time I did an upgrade of my V2 it took 63 hours each for two drives. I figured at the time that I could have done a data reload in that time or less, although there is always some uncertainty involved.

If you do not have a good backup you need to think about the fact that you will go through 15 days of 24/7 rebuilds to get this done. Your disks will go through maximum stress and will be fully unprotected. Among other reasons to have at least one good backup.

Just a thought :-)

Win7 Pro, via Rosewill RC-219 eSata HBA
10-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for that tip. The longest rebuild I had before (when I went from 1TB to 2TB drives) was less than 48 hours, so when I got to over three days, I thought something had to be wrong. I have a second 3TB drive waiting to go in, and I'm not keen on another long period out of service.
10-05-2011, 05:14 AM
Just for the general information of people moving up from 2TB to 3TB drives, the rebuild of the drives is slow. My rebuild started at 7AM Sunday and completed at 1AM today (Wednesday), taking about 66 hours. I found the progress meter on the Drobo Dashboard was not much help, but the estimate of how long it would take was not bad. For some reason, the Drobo Dashboard did lose contact with the Drobo at one point in the update; rebooting my iMac restored that. There are a few things I need to do today using the Drobo, and then it will be on to a second 3TB drive!

BTW, the 66 hours to completion does reinforce my view that my original attempt at a rebuild had become stuck. Hence my restart on Sunday.
10-05-2011, 11:20 AM
It's not uncommon for Drobo Dashboard to lose contact with Drobo during a rebuild. Drobo's "attention" is focused on the rebuild itself and all other communications get slowed down by the process. At least that's how it was when I accidentally triggered a rebuild (kicked a drive loose).

Remember too that rebuild time is based on how much data you have. The more data you have, the longer it'll take.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
10-05-2011, 03:37 PM
(10-03-2011 12:35 PM)Docchris Wrote:  the computer […] doesnt affect drobo's rebuild - its a totally internal process

Is this true? This forum is full people telling you that accessing the Drobo - while it's rebuilding - will increase the time that the relayout takes, because Drobo has to re-check all the accessed blocks.
10-05-2011, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-05-2011 03:40 PM by Docchris.)
haha - sorry i wasnt clear

yes accessing the drobo increases the rebuidl time because you are distracting it from rebuilding

i meant that the drobo doenst depend on the computer in order to rebuild - the computer doenst instruct the drobo how to rebuild or anything like that

you can disconnect or powerdown the comptuer without it stopping the rebuild, is what i mean!

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
10-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Not hearing about any issues with the new firmware....must be working as planned. Smile

Drobo (Gen2)
Drobo 5N
=============================
** Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely. **
11-12-2011, 09:39 AM
quick question btw...
usually, when i powerdown windows, the drobo lights go off shortly after

if the computer is down, how can i carry on with a drive ejection/insertion/rebuild process...
eg can that be done with no computer on?

eg:
just power up the drobo
let it powercycle and flash lights/capacity etc
then it half powers down with just 1 power light....
at this point, can i still swap out a drive?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)