Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
09-29-2011, 12:15 PM
RE: Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
Is it safe to presume that this firmware won't be faulty considering the long time it took to release or should I wait another month or two just to be sure?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
From what I can tell, Drobo usually tests their firmware to a high level of confidence before release. Given how much pressure Drobo have resisted to rush the 4-bay firmware, and their (in my opinion) good* record with releasing firmware updates, I would guess this update will be reliable.

That said, quality assurance is a continual process, testing varying conditions and timeframes and watching for problems. Over time and as customers use the firmware in real life, the degree of confidence will increase. If you're cautious, you could wait a month and let others report any bugs before you upgrade.

*There have been performance and compatibility problems reported with a few updates, but I can't think of bugs that directly caused loss of data. Performance problems are reversible if you downgrade the firmware; data loss is not.
09-29-2011, 09:55 PM
For those concerned about upgrading drives while the Drobo is on...

It is actually better (and recommended) to install the new drive in the Drobo while it is running. It is NOT a good idea to swap drives with the unit powered off.

In the case where the new drive was used previously in a/the Drobo it can hose the array. It's been reported here. Obviously a new 3TB drive was unlikely to be used in a Drobo but it may still be bad Karma to tempt fate here "-)

We have had some discussions about powering down, pulling the old drive, powering up and then inserting the new drive. This in theory to prevent mechanical damage to the old drive. I think the consensus was to just swap the drives when the Drobo is powered on, as it was designed to do.

Win7 Pro, via Rosewill RC-219 eSata HBA
09-30-2011, 05:17 AM
"We have had some discussions about powering down, pulling the old drive, powering up and then inserting the new drive."

i'd be tempted to do that, just because then its not halfway through a write to the drive when you pull it

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
10-03-2011, 08:56 AM
So far, I'm not doing well. I installed a 3TB WD Green drive last week, which I had to jumper down to Sata 2 for the drive to be recognized. After waiting more than three days, the data protection was still showing as incomplete. I forcibly restarted the rebuild yesterday morning, following Drobo's instructions. The hours to completion went from 56 hours and gradually declined to 42 by around 2PM. It then began to go back up, and is now showing 98 hours, with the progress bar stuck unchanging at about 1/3 of the way through. I'm greatly tempted to remove all my data from the Drobo, restore it to factory condition, and start from scratch. Opinions/suggestions?
10-03-2011, 09:47 AM
(10-03-2011 08:56 AM)mike457 Wrote:  So far, I'm not doing well. I installed a 3TB WD Green drive last week, which I had to jumper down to Sata 2 for the drive to be recognized. After waiting more than three days, the data protection was still showing as incomplete. I forcibly restarted the rebuild yesterday morning, following Drobo's instructions. The hours to completion went from 56 hours and gradually declined to 42 by around 2PM. It then began to go back up, and is now showing 98 hours, with the progress bar stuck unchanging at about 1/3 of the way through. I'm greatly tempted to remove all my data from the Drobo, restore it to factory condition, and start from scratch. Opinions/suggestions?

Did you restore jumper settings of your 3TB drive so it is 3TB again?
10-03-2011, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2011 09:54 AM by Docchris.)
just be patient!

i dont think you should have restatrted,

try reading through this thread

http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.ph
bytec - i think he means it made it SATA 2 not SATA 3 - it doenst affect the size of the drive at all?
bytec - i think he means it made it SATA 2 not SATA 3 - it doenst affect the size of the drive at all?

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
10-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I had read through that, thanks. After over 72 hours and no motion of the progress bar, just increases in the time remaining, I figured I wasn't getting anywhere. Restarting either the computer or the dashboard made no change. On the plus side, I restarted the Dashboard an hour ago, and it's now back down to 51 hours at this moment, but nothing showing on the progress bar.
10-03-2011, 11:12 AM
The progress bar might not be accurate. Listen to the drives.
If they're chattering away, your Drobo is probably rebuilding. If they're quiet, it's probably "stuck."

Accessing files on the Drobo will slow down a normal rebuild, which can take several days. Restarting the Drobo is considerably more intrusive.
10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
the computer / dashboard doesnt affect drobo's rebuild - its a totally internal process