Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
09-28-2011, 11:40 AM
RE: Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
i think a lot of people have!

hand it is being released at the same time as 4TB drives are coming to market

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Nice! It's been a long wait. So what's the best way to upgrade? I have a unit that has 4x2TB drive. Can I just simply eject one of the 2TB and put in a brand new 3TB? Can I do this live while the unit is running? Or is that not advisable? Should I power everything off, then replace the 2TB with a 3TB, then power on everything? What's the best way to upgrade capacity? Sorry for the newbie questions. I bought the unit fully populated with 4x2TB, so this is my first time upgrading to a bigger capacity drive. If this works, I'll buy 3 more 3TB so I can have 4x3TB drobo unit.
09-28-2011, 01:11 PM
you CAN just pull a running drive and then replace it

personally i'd power down the unit

(i have upgraded quite a few while its running - but its just a little safer to power down if its not an inconvenience)

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
09-28-2011, 01:24 PM
(09-28-2011 01:08 PM)drobo2112 Wrote:  Nice! It's been a long wait. So what's the best way to upgrade? I have a unit that has 4x2TB drive. Can I just simply eject one of the 2TB and put in a brand new 3TB? Can I do this live while the unit is running? Or is that not advisable? Should I power everything off, then replace the 2TB with a 3TB, then power on everything? What's the best way to upgrade capacity? Sorry for the newbie questions. I bought the unit fully populated with 4x2TB, so this is my first time upgrading to a bigger capacity drive. If this works, I'll buy 3 more 3TB so I can have 4x3TB drobo unit.

I took mine out while it is running. Try not to pay attention to the claim of how long data protection will take (mine says 242 hours!); from past experience, it will be less than that, though it will be a couple of days.

Remember: only replace ONE drive at a time!
09-28-2011, 02:23 PM
(09-28-2011 01:08 PM)drobo2112 Wrote:  So what's the best way to upgrade?
You have to upgrade the Drobo firmware first through Drobo Dashboard, of course...

(09-28-2011 01:08 PM)drobo2112 Wrote:  Can I just simply eject one of the 2TB and put in a brand new 3TB? Can I do this live while the unit is running?
Doing it running is fine, if a little scary the first time you yank a drive out of a perfectly good setup...

Drobo V2 w/ 2x3TB WD EZRX Greens+2x5TB WD EFRX Red , second Drobo v2 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB (all WD Greens) on a Mac Mini i7 with Yosemite.
09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the help! It's going smoothly so far.

- I upgraded Dashboard
- Downloaded and upgraded firmware on drobo
- Shut down Drobo
- Replaced 2TB drive with 3TB, and powered up drobo
- Looks like it is rebuilding now with the new setup (3TB+2TB+2TB+2TB)

Hmm.. doesn't look like I gained any new capacity overall, 931.50GB reserved for expansion. Looks like I won't see any new capacity changes until I add in a 2nd 3TB drive.

thanks for the help!
09-28-2011, 08:00 PM
I randomly logged on after a few months of not looking to check on the status of the firmware for drives bigger than 2tb. Nice to see this post was made just yesterday.
09-28-2011, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 09-29-2011 12:01 AM by andrewnelles.)
I have the latest version of Drobo Dashboard, but whenever I use it to check for updates for my 1.3.7 [1.254.30359] Drobo Gen 2, it says "Drobo has the latest versions of Drobo Dashboard and Drobo Firmware"

What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: Figured it out, I just hold control while selecting "check for updates"
09-28-2011, 11:58 PM
you havent bothered to read the very first post?

it clearly says - GO TO THIS LINK AND DOWNLOAD IT

it does NOT say "check for automatic updates"

09-29-2011, 12:02 AM
I did read it, didn't make sense at first, never had to do a manual update. Figured it out shortly after posting and felt stupid.

Got it.