Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
09-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Smile Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
Hello Drobo community,

This afternoon we posted a firmware update for the 2nd Generation 4-bay Drobo that enables support for greater than 2TB hard disk drives. To download this firmware, please go to:
http://www.drobo.com/support/updates.php

Please also read the release notes for this new version (1.4.0).

This firmware update now completes the rollout of >2TB drive support for all currently shipping Drobos. Support for the 4-bay Drobo took longer than we thought, but we wanted to make sure that it was implemented and tested properly. This will now allow future drive sizes to be automatically supported.

Thank you for your ongoing participation on this forum.

Best,

-ErikP
Director, Product Management
Drobo, Inc.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2011, 12:28 AM
RE: Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
ooh, that is good news Big Grin

My Avatar is my Panther Chameleon named 'Leon.

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
09-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Can I apply this update using Dashboard 1.8.4? I'm on Snow Leopard, and despite having used 2.0.3 for ages with my V1 this page: http://www.drobo.com/support/updates.php now says I can't use 2.0.3 with a V1. When I add my V2 to the setup what software should I use?

Drobo V2 w/ 2x3TB WD EZRX Greens+2x5TB WD EFRX Red , second Drobo v2 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB (all WD Greens) on a Mac Mini i7 with Yosemite.
09-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Question RE: Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
The Drobolator for the 4bay has been updated, but only shows 2.5TB drives, not 3TB. Am I safe to use 3TB drives once I get home and upgrade my 4bay (2nd gen) to Firmware 1.4.0?
09-28-2011, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 09-28-2011 09:11 AM by Docchris.)
yes. that is what the initial post says Big Grin

I have a owned a Drobo v1, v2, DroboPro, Drobo 5D, DroboFS, Drobo 5N and DroboPro FS

I currently have a Windows 2016 Server with 8 x 8TB Seagate Archive Drives, 14 x 8TB WD Red and 3 x 8TB WD Gold
09-28-2011, 09:31 AM
I have installed a 3TB WD Caviar Green SATA3 drive. The first two times I put it in, the Drobo did not acknowledge the drive. I had to jumper it to SATA2 for it to work, and the Drobo is now into data protection mode. It is a little disappointing to put in an extra TB and have it almost all (931.5GB) go to "reserved for expansion." Getting an increase in space is going to require a second 3TB drive.
09-28-2011, 09:34 AM
(09-28-2011 09:31 AM)mike457 Wrote:  It is a little disappointing to put in an extra TB and have it almost all (931.5GB) go to "reserved for expansion." Getting an increase in space is going to require a second 3TB drive.

That's how it works at all capacities. Your biggest drive is always redundancy, and if it's bigger than the next biggest drive then that part is "reserved for expansion". Your two biggest drives need to be the same size to get the space increase.

Drobo V2 w/ 2x3TB WD EZRX Greens+2x5TB WD EFRX Red , second Drobo v2 with 2x3TB + 2x2TB (all WD Greens) on a Mac Mini i7 with Yosemite.
09-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Smile RE: Drobo firmware update for greater than 2TB drive support now available!
(09-28-2011 09:34 AM)Spiney Wrote:  That's how it works at all capacities. Your biggest drive is always redundancy, and if it's bigger than the next biggest drive then that part is "reserved for expansion". Your two biggest drives need to be the same size to get the space increase.

I know, and I was expecting it, but it is disappointing anyway. I've now ordered an additional 3TB drive.
09-28-2011, 10:23 AM
yes

for 4 slot drobos, total usable = total minus your largest single drive

in your case that final 1tb has no where to be mirrored to, so it has to wait for a second drive of equal capacity

09-28-2011, 11:28 AM
I have been looking forward to this for quite awhile. Wonderful.