Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fan always running in standby...
12-10-2012, 04:44 PM
Fan always running in standby...
Hello,

I'm running my 5D via Thrunderbolt to my 2012 Macbook Pro. I have Power Nap disabled. When the computer and Drobo 5D go into sleep mode, I still notice the soft hum of a fan in the Drobo. It continues to run even if a few days pass. Is this normal? It's definitely running slow compared to when the Drobo is active. (I have updated my Drobo 5D software to the most recent release)

Thanks,

Michael
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2012, 05:09 PM
RE: Fan always running in standby...
Drobo is always working - optimizing the layout, doing maintenance, training an army of hamsters to take over the world...

It will spin down the drives when it's really not doing anything, but the fan is controlled by temperature, so it will spin up to ensure your drives (and Drobo) won't overheat.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
12-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

(12-10-2012 05:09 PM)bhiga Wrote:  Drobo is always working - optimizing the layout, doing maintenance, training an army of hamsters to take over the world...

It will spin down the drives when it's really not doing anything, but the fan is controlled by temperature, so it will spin up to ensure your drives (and Drobo) won't overheat.
12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
It's worth nothing a few other things here, mainly:
1. Do not place Drobo in a position other than its default (on its feet). Don't put it on its back, on its face, on its side, upside-down, etc. This can damage the backplane that the drives connect to.

2. Stacking of Drobos (sitting one atop another) is not recommended. I have witnessed on my smaller Drobos at home that putting one atop the other generates more heat and more fan activity than placing them side-by-side, even when they're butted up against each other. Makes sense since heat rises, but you don't always think about stuff like that when arranging small equipment. Smile

12-13-2012, 06:08 PM
(12-10-2012 05:09 PM)bhiga Wrote:  Drobo is always working - optimizing the layout, doing maintenance, training an army of hamsters to take over the world...

We're finally ready...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10816020/Drobo%20Army.jpg

Sky
Data Robotics Moderator

Support # 1-866-426-4280
Monday - Thursday 6a-7p PST
Friday and Saturday 6a-12a PST
Sunday 6a-6p PST

Best Practices
http://www.drobo.com/downloads/docs/drob...http://www.drobo.com/downloads/docs/drobobestpra

Knowledge Base
http://www.drobo.com/support/knowledgebase.php
12-14-2012, 09:19 AM
LOL!! Thanks Sky! That made my morning!!

12-14-2012, 11:04 AM
... and my afternoon Smile

btw if you also have any drinks coasters (made of cork) they can be good when placed under the rubber feet. (i find it reduced some vibration noise on the table)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-18-2012, 10:01 AM
(12-14-2012 11:04 AM)Paul Wrote:  ... and my afternoon Smile

btw if you also have any drinks coasters (made of cork) they can be good when placed under the rubber feet. (i find it reduced some vibration noise on the table)

Paul, the noisy vibrations from my Drobo 5D on my desk are driving me nuts. Is there any recommended method of dampening down the noise? It is almost intolerable. Any help or advice would be very gratefully received.
12-18-2012, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2012 10:07 AM by Paul.)
hi dcg is your table a big table, and just made of wood, with nothing else over it?

ive got a drobo on a small table, and it doesnt resonate as much
but for the bigger table, ive got a couple of "very thin" table cloths like those thin plastic coated cotton sheets plus the 4 cork coasters underneath the rubber feet and it did wonders.

(before i did that, it would vibrate so much my arms (and teeth) would even feel it lol Big Grin

(just make sure there are no creases in the cloth and no raised parts, because it needs to Not touch or obstruct any part of the drobo itself)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-18-2012, 10:09 AM
DCG, maybe my experience with a 4-bay Drobo will be useful.
I put pieces of foam (either from packing material or meat packaging or those inserts when you buy a spindle of CDs) under the feet of my 4-bay.
I also tightened the screws inside those rubber feet, to reduce how much the chassis rattled. Then I put a small weight (old hard drives!) on top, also to damp the rattling.

As Paul suggests, the surface might be a factor. My desk is an Anthrocart, which wouldn't resonate if a locomotive drove over it (it might not even creak).

You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown