Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Some early impressions
12-10-2012, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 01:26 PM by Paul.)
RE: Some early impressions
i think docchris has some luck with WD reds, but that might have been another model hardware not 5d.

interestingly though, this webpage seems to show a green light with them, but its best for someome from drobo to verify first:
http://www.droboworks.com/Choose-Drives.asp (under the Drive Types tab)

(it could just be a business case where the makers prefer more expensive enterprise drives to be sold and used, but there might be valid reasons too so best to wait for official confirmations of some sort before using them)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2012, 01:33 PM
(12-10-2012 01:25 PM)Paul Wrote:  i think docchris has some luck with WD reds, but that might have been another model hardware not 5d.

interestingly though, this webpage seems to show a green light with them, but its best for someome from drobo to verify first:
http://www.droboworks.com/Choose-Drives.asp (under the Drive Types tab)

(it could just be a business case where the makers prefer more expensive enterprise drives to be sold and used, but there might be valid reasons too so best to wait for official confirmations of some sort before using them)

That's great thanks, I will have a good read up and also check with Drobo Support to see if they do or do not support the Reds in the 5D

Cheers
12-11-2012, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2012 01:01 AM by holsapple.)
I am having no concerns whatsoever with all 3TB Reds in my 5D… one disk failed but it proved to be corrupt anyway. The new Red I swapped in worked as flawlessly as the other four.
12-11-2012, 02:22 AM
(12-11-2012 12:59 AM)holsapple Wrote:  I am having no concerns whatsoever with all 3TB Reds in my 5D… one disk failed but it proved to be corrupt anyway. The new Red I swapped in worked as flawlessly as the other four.

Hello chap

Yep I finally got a reply from Drobo Support and they confirmed the Reds are now compatible, and low and behold the Choose Your Drive page: http://www.drobo.com/products/choose-drive.php has been updated to say it does.

So I am hoping my issue was that I hadn't updated to the latest Dashboard (I have an original DroboS) which was why the Drobo Dashboard wasn't seeing the 5D for formatting..?

Cheers guys
12-11-2012, 10:11 AM
(12-11-2012 02:22 AM)Jordy Wrote:  So I am hoping my issue was that I hadn't updated to the latest Dashboard (I have an original DroboS) which was why the Drobo Dashboard wasn't seeing the 5D for formatting..?
Definitely be sure to update Drobo Dashboard when you get a new Drobo.

If Drobo Dashboard doesn't show the right number of bays in the picture for your device and says it's an "Unknown device" that's a definite sign you need to update Drobo Dashboard.

--Brandon | WHS2011+Drive Bender/2x Drobo v2/Drobo S G1/ Drobo S G2/Transporter
Drobo provides fault-tolerance, it's NOT a substitute for regular backups.
Drobo Best Practices - Official and Community-sourced.
12-11-2012, 01:09 PM
(12-11-2012 10:11 AM)bhiga Wrote:  
(12-11-2012 02:22 AM)Jordy Wrote:  So I am hoping my issue was that I hadn't updated to the latest Dashboard (I have an original DroboS) which was why the Drobo Dashboard wasn't seeing the 5D for formatting..?
Definitely be sure to update Drobo Dashboard when you get a new Drobo.

If Drobo Dashboard doesn't show the right number of bays in the picture for your device and says it's an "Unknown device" that's a definite sign you need to update Drobo Dashboard.

Yep done that and now its seeing three 3TB WD Reds, lovely!