Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Some early impressions
12-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Some early impressions
After a couple of years of Drobo FS frustration I am really pleased with having moved my entire 4TB iTunes collection to Drobo 5D (w. 5 3TB WD Red drives). Works perfectly with a new SSD Mac Mini. One of the all new WD Red disks failed initially, switching it out was seamless as ever – Drobo at its best and most effortless.

The only thing that has bothered me a bit is that at one time the Drobo found no disks at all though all 5 were inserted and working. I rebooted, after having exerted/inserted all bays, and everything was back to normal. Any suggestions why this happened, and is it of concern?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2012, 07:05 AM
RE: Some early impressions
hi hols, cool that things worked for you. Smile

when you did that reboot was it near the time when you swapped out that red disk? (eg within a few days timeframe)
it might have been a residual rebuild effect maybe.

btw how much of a risk is it with your itunes that you could click the wrong button and sync your smaller capacity ipod (back onto your library) and wipe some of the original library? (i dont have it and just wondering)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
12-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Paul, I don't sync ANYTHING that has to do with music, between mobile units and itunes… that would mean too big of a risk…
12-05-2012, 07:32 AM
i can imagine Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
12-05-2012, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 01:16 PM by Sevenfeet.)
(12-05-2012 07:05 AM)Paul Wrote:  hi hols, cool that things worked for you. Smile

when you did that reboot was it near the time when you swapped out that red disk? (eg within a few days timeframe)
it might have been a residual rebuild effect maybe.

btw how much of a risk is it with your itunes that you could click the wrong button and sync your smaller capacity ipod (back onto your library) and wipe some of the original library? (i dont have it and just wondering)

iTunes considers the iTunes library music the "files of record". In other words, it doesn't sync music from an iPod back to the main library in any circumstance. The only syncing back from an iPod are meta-data like "how many times did you play a song?" or what did you rate a song?"

And if you are using iTunes Match which matches music from your library to what the iTunes Store knows about in the cloud, again, your local files will never get overwritten by the copies from the cloud unless you actually delete the local files manually first. There are reasons you do want to do this...for example if your local rips are lesser quality (like 128 kbits) versus what iTunes keeps around (256 kbit/sec AAC). But nearly all of my music collection is in Apple Lossless, and those files take priority over their cloud versions. But I can access the cloud versions from any iOS device on the go without having to keep multiple ripped versions (which is what I had to do for years before iTunes Match).
12-05-2012, 10:26 PM
(12-05-2012 01:14 PM)Sevenfeet Wrote:  iTunes considers the iTunes library music the "files of record". In other words, it doesn't sync music from an iPod back to the main library in any circumstance. The only syncing back from an iPod are meta-data like "how many times did you play a song?" or what did you rate a song?"

Not entirely accurate. If you purchase content on your iOS device, the next time you sync with iTunes, iTunes will tell you there is purchased content on your device that isn't in the library and asks if you want to copy it to the library. This applies to any media (Music, TV Shows, Movies).

i7 Mac Mini Server, 10.10
Drobo (Gen2), USB, 4x WD 4TB RED

Drobo (Gen3), USB3, 4X WD 4TB RED

Drobo 5D, TB, 5x WD 4TB RED, 120GB Intel 525 mSATA SSD
12-08-2012, 02:52 PM
(12-05-2012 10:26 PM)mgriffin34 Wrote:  
(12-05-2012 01:14 PM)Sevenfeet Wrote:  iTunes considers the iTunes library music the "files of record". In other words, it doesn't sync music from an iPod back to the main library in any circumstance. The only syncing back from an iPod are meta-data like "how many times did you play a song?" or what did you rate a song?"

Not entirely accurate. If you purchase content on your iOS device, the next time you sync with iTunes, iTunes will tell you there is purchased content on your device that isn't in the library and asks if you want to copy it to the library. This applies to any media (Music, TV Shows, Movies).

Well, that's an iPod Touch (or iPhone). I'm thinking of a regular iPod. Regardless, even if you say "yes" to the copy request you mentioned, it still won't erase an existing file with the same name that is your own music. It'll just copy the file with a new name ("My song 2")
12-10-2012, 12:44 PM
(12-05-2012 01:03 AM)holsapple Wrote:  After a couple of years of Drobo FS frustration I am really pleased with having moved my entire 4TB iTunes collection to Drobo 5D (w. 5 3TB WD Red drives). Works perfectly with a new SSD Mac Mini. One of the all new WD Red disks failed initially, switching it out was seamless as ever – Drobo at its best and most effortless.

The only thing that has bothered me a bit is that at one time the Drobo found no disks at all though all 5 were inserted and working. I rebooted, after having exerted/inserted all bays, and everything was back to normal. Any suggestions why this happened, and is it of concern?

Hi there,

are you saying that the 5D supports the western digital Red drives? According to this page: http://www.drobo.com/products/choose-drive.php the reds do not work with the Drobo 5D. I have three 3tb WD Reds which I would love to put into my D5, but it simply doesn't read them.

Any help with this would be great

Cheers
12-10-2012, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2012 12:58 PM by Paul.)
ok its good to know.
(long live the Diamond rio pmp300)

a.k.a "the PIMP 300" Smile

edit:
jordy i think that page could do with some clarification
eg: theres an X, but then it states that "•Western Digital offers a drive designed for 2 to 5 bay desktop RAID arrays"
the 5d sounds like a 5-bay desktop raid array so its a bit confusing at the moment)

12-10-2012, 01:03 PM
(12-10-2012 12:54 PM)Paul Wrote:  edit:
jordy i think that page could do with some clarification
eg: theres an X, but then it states that "•Western Digital offers a drive designed for 2 to 5 bay desktop RAID arrays"
the 5d sounds like a 5-bay desktop raid array so its a bit confusing at the moment)

I agree, that's what the Reds are designed for, but when I put 3 of them into the drobo 5d All I got were 5 constant red lights and a flashing bar of blue lights. I haven't checked to see if the firmware is up to date, but I thought id hit the forums to see if anyone had any luck getting them to run.