Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Runaway kernel processes
11-30-2012, 09:31 PM
Runaway kernel processes
Have any other 5D users had problems with runaway kernel processes since hooking up their 5Ds?

I've had two in the past couple of days. Once when I was rsync'ing several TB of files off of an FS and another when the Plex media scanner was scanning the array for updates.

The first time, the machine hung on shutdown until I unplugged the 5D. The second time, unplugging the array caused the runaway process to terminate and the Mini it was plugged into returned to normal.

In both cases, the 5D needed to be reset before it would mount.

Right now, my working theory is that the 5D crashed.

I didn't see anything suggestive in the system logs. The mini is running 10.7. I've just installed the new firmware and am waiting to see if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else seen this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2012, 10:08 PM
RE: Runaway kernel processes
I can't comment directly (I don't have one), but I've seen events on my Mac Mini where the I/O system hangs - I assume it deadlocked on something unresponsive - and it's just as you describe. Anything that needs I/O eventually hangs, preventing even shutdown. The Drobo may be exacerbating this tendency, but it's definitely not unique to it.

Certainly *****when it happens though, as there's no good way I know of to resolve it cleanly.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
12-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Are those 2 5Ds using SATA, SAS or SSD? Thunderbolt connection right?
12-02-2012, 10:53 PM
1 5D running 3x SATA (2x 3TB WD RED, 1x Seagate 500Gig) over tbolt.
1 FS running 5x SATA (5x 2TB WD Green)

No crashes since my last post. I've also removed the mSATA accelerator. If I stay crash free for another few days, I'll add it back in.
12-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Tks Justin for the info! Was gonna ask the MSATA but you answered it. Btw, Crucial or OZC MSATA and how many GB? We have 3 5Ds in our Lab now but having prior bad experience with the infamous reboot loop symptoms of our DroboPros, Elites & 800i, we are cautious deploying them in production.
12-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Crucial 64GB