Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
06-04-2011, 10:46 PM
RE: DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
Cool...installed it on my Drobo and checked the Xbox360...sure enough it could see it. I looked at some pictures, music, etc. It only saw like 3 video files out of like the 20-30 I had in the folder. The other files are MKV's I made with handbrake. I'm guessing the minidlna cant see these files?

Kinda the reason I got excited about this since it gave me another player to watch blu-ray MKVs on the xbox with!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 02:06 AM
(06-04-2011 10:46 PM)digiblur Wrote:  Cool...installed it on my Drobo and checked the Xbox360...sure enough it could see it. I looked at some pictures, music, etc. It only saw like 3 video files out of like the 20-30 I had in the folder. The other files are MKV's I made with handbrake. I'm guessing the minidlna cant see these files?

Kinda the reason I got excited about this since it gave me another player to watch blu-ray MKVs on the xbox with!

I'm sorry to shatter your dreams, but I don't think it'll work. Here's why:

1) Minidlna sees all files, but it indexes only the ones it recognizes as media files. Thus, if MKV files are not appearing it is most likely because either minidlna is not coded to recognize those as media files (which is possible, but unlikely), or that it is missing some library to parse MKV files (more likely). I could recompile it with whatever library is required to support MKVs, but this leads us to problem #2:

2) It all depends on which audio/video codecs the Xbox supports. If it does support the codecs used on those MKV files, then it may have a chance to work. If it does not support those codecs, then I can guarantee it won't be a good idea.

The reason is that, as defined by the DLNA standard, if a client (the Xbox) is not able to decode a video some server (the FS) has, then it is up to the server to transcode in realtime the media file form its original codec to something the client does support. Unfortunately, the FS has a puny 800 MHz ARM CPU that will never be able to transcode anything HD in realtime, much less a bluray rip.

TL;DR: are the codecs on those MKVs supported by the Xbox? If not, then trying to make them appear won't be of much help.
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM
I pretty sure that Xbox's will not see MKV's. I have stopped using my 360 for streaming because of the lack of codecs it is able to read
07-26-2011, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2011 05:25 PM by frad.)
Hi Ricardo,

I was checking out the MiniDNLA repository today and it looks like the official release has been reved to 1.0.21. EDIT: Found the changelog
http://minidlna.cvs.sourceforge.net/view...http://minidlna.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/minidlna/minidlna/NEWS?revision=1.7&view=markup&pathr

Any chance for an update? (when you have free time Smile )

Also just wanted to say that I've been using miniDNLA on my Drobo FS since version 19 was released and I've had zero problems with it... by far way superior than FUPPES for me. Since it was designed to strictly adhere to the DLNA standard I find it works great with any device I have which is DLNA certified. For me that is my Samsung TV... it is able to stream all my video just flawlessly! Very cool Smile
07-27-2011, 06:09 AM
I'll have a look as soon as I can. This may take a while, since the dependencies have also been updated in between.
07-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Alright, who's ready to be my guinea pig?

Latest version of minidlna is available here: http://www.droboports.com/app-repository...http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/minid

This should work (it started on my FS), but I haven't actually tested it throughly. Anyone care to give it a spin?
08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
(07-28-2011 10:07 AM)ricardo Wrote:  Alright, who's ready to be my guinea pig?

Latest version of minidlna is available here: http://www.droboports.com/app-repository...http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/minid

This should work (it started on my FS), but I haven't actually tested it throughly. Anyone care to give it a spin?

WOW! So I upgraded to the new version and it finally streams avi's and files other than a mpeg2 file to my POS sony bluray HTIB. You sir have my gratitude and a donation heading your way!
08-04-2011, 01:22 AM
(08-03-2011 08:12 PM)mindless Wrote:  WOW! So I upgraded to the new version and it finally streams avi's and files other than a mpeg2 file to my POS sony bluray HTIB. You sir have my gratitude and a donation heading your way!

Thank you very much. Smile

On a related note: are you telling me that your Drobo is managing to transcode videos? o.O
08-04-2011, 11:33 AM
(08-04-2011 01:22 AM)ricardo Wrote:  
(08-03-2011 08:12 PM)mindless Wrote:  WOW! So I upgraded to the new version and it finally streams avi's and files other than a mpeg2 file to my POS sony bluray HTIB. You sir have my gratitude and a donation heading your way!

Thank you very much. Smile

On a related note: are you telling me that your Drobo is managing to transcode videos? o.O

It could... My POS sony bluray HTIB apparently will only play MPEG2 if streamed, but will play other formats off of a thumb drive. I'll do some more testing tonight, but it did play files it would not play before (it wouldn't list the files when I navigated to it on the bluray HTIB, but would display and play on the PS3).
08-06-2011, 06:56 AM
It appears to be able to keep up transcoding SD video files, but stuttered a bit trying to keep up with a 720p MP4 file. Thanks again for your hard work!