• 1 Votes - 5 Average
DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
05-01-2011, 02:41 AM
RE: DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
What kind of output do you get if you run this on an SSH session on the FS:
Code:
cd /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/minidlna/sbin/
./minidlna -d -R -f ../etc/minidlna.conf

Does it show you a lot of output about media being indexed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 11:46 PM
(05-01-2011 02:41 AM)ricardo Wrote:  What kind of output do you get if you run this on an SSH session on the FS:
Code:

Does it show you a lot of output about media being indexed?

I get what appears to be a missing file.

Code:
# ./minidlna -d -R -f ../etc/minidlna.conf
./minidlna: error while loading shared libraries: libexif.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

Do I have to install some libraries?

philip
05-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Try this instead:
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib/ ./minidlna -d -R -f ../etc/minidlna.conf
05-02-2011, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2011 01:55 AM by pmcd.)
(05-02-2011 01:15 AM)ricardo Wrote:  Try this instead:
Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib/ ./minidlna -d -R -f ../etc/minidlna.conf

Hmm ... that seemed to have started a lot. I can see it scanning my video files and so on.

Is there a file I can edit so I won't have to do this manually?

philip

Edit: Just tried to play something from my C200 and it worked! Pretty neat.
05-02-2011, 02:14 AM
(05-02-2011 01:37 AM)pmcd Wrote:  Hmm ... that seemed to have started a lot. I can see it scanning my video files and so on.

philip

Good to hear! I think the problem was that somehow minidlna thought the scanning was complete. After this scanning completes it should remember the folders in the future, so no need to do this again unless you add a new folder to the media_dir configuration.
05-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Hi Ricardo.

Thanks very much for your efforts.
I just installed minidlna and it streams media to my Xbox 360 like a charm.

Out of curiosity what settings are you using for the notify_interval? have you seen any effect on the Drobo FS from the rescans?

Thanks,
Troy.
05-07-2011, 10:05 AM
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm currently not using minidlna. I do all my streaming over SMB, which seems to be much more reliable than DLNA. But while I was using it I kept the default value. If you have any luck with different values, let me know so that I can update the package.
05-07-2011, 01:03 PM
(05-02-2011 02:14 AM)ricardo Wrote:  
(05-02-2011 01:37 AM)pmcd Wrote:  Hmm ... that seemed to have started a lot. I can see it scanning my video files and so on.

philip

Good to hear! I think the problem was that somehow minidlna thought the scanning was complete. After this scanning completes it should remember the folders in the future, so no need to do this again unless you add a new folder to the media_dir configuration.

I should point out that once I ended the ssh session, the dlna server stopped. It also seems to interfere with nfs so I have gone back to that.

It would be great to have both dlna and NFS working. Should be possible as I don't see why there should be a problem.

If smb would only work to my C200 that would be the way to go, but I have never been able to get that to work ( with the C200). Drobo does something weird with cifs as I don't have a problem with any other NAS.

philip
05-09-2011, 01:12 AM
(05-07-2011 01:03 PM)pmcd Wrote:  I should point out that once I ended the ssh session, the dlna server stopped. It also seems to interfere with nfs so I have gone back to that.

That would be because of the '-d' argument. This makes the server run as a session application, and thus attached to the existence of the session. The complete sequence of steps would be something like this:
Code:
# stop the background service
cd /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/minidlna/
./service.sh stop
# force a manual reindexing
# wait for it to index everything, then CTRL+C
# then restart the background service
cd /mnt/DroboFS/Shares/DroboApps/minidlna/
./service.sh start

(05-07-2011 01:03 PM)pmcd Wrote:  It would be great to have both dlna and NFS working. Should be possible as I don't see why there should be a problem.

This works just fone for me.

(05-07-2011 01:03 PM)pmcd Wrote:  If smb would only work to my C200 that would be the way to go, but I have never been able to get that to work ( with the C200). Drobo does something weird with cifs as I don't have a problem with any other NAS.

This is interesting, since the FS basically uses the same SMB server as every other Linux machine out there. I have looked at the configuration it uses and it does not look any different than pretty much every single other Linux machine I've seen so far.
06-01-2011, 08:58 AM
Quick heads-up: I recompiled minidlna to use static linking and some more aggressive optimization. The final package is much smaller than the original one (22.7MB vs 3.5MB), and I also managed to reduce the executable as well.

Just to make it clear: no functionality was added or changed, but if you are having troubles with the previous version, give this one a try. Also this one should be a little bit faster due to compiler optimizations.

As usual, you can find it here: http://www.droboports.com/app-repository...http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/minid