Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
Another one bites the dust. Owners of Sony TVs, rejoice!

The full tutorial on how to compile the crazy long list of dependencies can be found here: http://www.droboports.com/app-repository...http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/minid

As usual, a ready-to-use version is also available for your commodity.

I tested it with my WD TV Live, and everything seemed to work fine. I haven't tested transcoding, but as we all can imagine, it'll most likely suck.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2011, 03:59 PM
RE: DroboApp HOWTO: minidlna 1.0.19
Just a short message to say thanks! MiniDLNA works flawlessly with all my devices. Works great with my Samsung TV and I can even fast forward and rewind with it.

Also works great with my XBOX.

Thanks for your work Ricardo!
04-05-2011, 05:24 PM
hi frad, which xbox is that... original or 360?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
04-05-2011, 06:10 PM
(04-05-2011 05:24 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi frad, which xbox is that... original or 360?

It's a 360... It basically detects the DLNA media server on the network and I can stream all my files. So far so good. The reason miniDLNA is so much better, imho that is, is because it's goal is to be as complaint to the DLNA standard as possible... so it works with more devices which also claim to be DLNA complaint.
04-06-2011, 01:19 AM
(04-05-2011 03:59 PM)frad Wrote:  Thanks for your work Ricardo!

You are very welcome! Big Grin
04-29-2011, 04:01 AM
(03-31-2011 09:34 AM)ricardo Wrote:  Another one bites the dust. Owners of Sony TVs, rejoice!

[ ]

As usual, a ready-to-use version is also available for your commodity.

I tested it with my WD TV Live, and everything seemed to work fine. I haven't tested transcoding, but as we all can imagine, it'll most likely suck.

I have tried it with a PCH-C200 and XBMC. They see the Drobo ( which is called DroboFS), but they think there is no content. Is there some special trick to get a DroboFS working with a media player? It's been really hard. Only NFS seems to work and the path to the share has to be specified properly. Anyway, I have a share called "drobodata" and it have a subfolder called videos and inside there are other folders. In the configuration I have the line

media_dir=/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/drobodata/videos/

I also tried

media_dir=/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/drobodata/videos

None of my players see anything in there. Might the problem be in the name DroboFS I have given the Drobo ( as opposed to drobo-fs)?

Any help would be appreciated...

philip
04-29-2011, 04:59 AM
(04-29-2011 04:01 AM)pmcd Wrote:  I have tried it with a PCH-C200 and XBMC. They see the Drobo ( which is called DroboFS), but they think there is no content. Is there some special trick to get a DroboFS working with a media player? It's been really hard.

Nope, no tricks. In fact if you had some data in the folder that is initially setup with, you should see that already.

(04-29-2011 04:01 AM)pmcd Wrote:  Anyway, I have a share called "drobodata" and it have a subfolder called videos and inside there are other folders. In the configuration I have the line

media_dir=/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/drobodata/videos/

I also tried

media_dir=/mnt/DroboFS/Shares/drobodata/videos

None of my players see anything in there. Might the problem be in the name DroboFS I have given the Drobo ( as opposed to drobo-fs)?

Any help would be appreciated...

philip

The name of the FS does not change anything. FWIW, mine is also called DroboFS and it worked fine.

There are three things that could be causing problem:

1) Are you sure about the capitalization of the share name and the subfolder? For the FS, "drobodata", "Drobodata" and "DroboData" are completely different things. Same goes for "videos". You don't need the trailing slash.

2) As far as I know, minidlna does not immediately pick up configuration changes -- it needs to be restarted. Have you restarted minidlna (or your Drobo, if you do not have SSH access) after changing the configuration?

3) One minidlna builds an index, it seems to be a bit lazy about when to rebuild it. To make sure that minidlna will update the index, delete the file minidlna/var/cache/minidlna/files.db (inside the DroboApps share). This will force minidlna to rebuild it from scratch.
04-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Thank's for the suggestions. I checked the names again and they were fine. I removed the trailing slash. Here is something odd from the log

[2011/04/29 03:10:56] minidlna.c:848: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.0.19 [SQLite 3.7.5].
[2011/04/29 03:10:57] minidlna.c:936: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2011/04/29 03:10:57] upnphttp.c:915: warn: HTTP Connection closed unexpectedly

This last error keeps getting repeated. Perhaps that is it?

philip
04-30-2011, 08:38 AM
These guys claim that it could be related to the characters in the file names. Do you have any funky characters on the names of files and/or folders?
04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Nope, I just have plain characters. Nothing strange. I even made a new share called Video and put a few files in there. I edited the configuration file to only have that share. My C200 still thought there was nothing in it, as did XBMC. Perhaps fuppes would be better?

I have never been able to get the C200 to work with my DroboFS except via NFS. It got to the point that I went and bought a WHS to avoid the hassles. Too bad as the FS is really nice. It works great with my Mac's and PC's, but has only ever played nicely with Realtek based media players. Nothing else has worked for me ( and other people, though many seem to get it to work).

I wish it would work, but I am not optimistic.

Philip