02-27-2011, 02:26 PM
RE: DroboApp HOWTO: openssh 5.8p1
nice job ricardo!

thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Just some final remarks. The previous version of service.sh would kill all running ssh sessions during a restart of the service, which was annoying, if you wanted to test some changes that you were not sure would work. I have fixed that, now only the main process is restarted (killed by pidfile, instead of name).

Also, I have made sure that no test outputs anything to stdout (more precisely, both of the 'which' tests), to make sure that even in the case of a restart service.sh will behave like it is expected to.

I have edited the original post to include this revised version, and updated the download version accordingly.
03-08-2011, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2011 09:49 AM by diamondsw.)
Wow, this was impressively easy. I used the SSH instructions, but then kept the session open while I used a new tab to test the new SSH server. I had to remove the Drobo's line from "known_hosts" of course; after I verified OpenSSH worked I removed the "dropbear" directory from the DroboApps share to ensure it doesn't try to run next boot. I assume either the new OpenSSH DroboApp or the old dropbear script will take care of the infamous overwriting of /etc/passwd?

Bam, I can SFTP into my Drobo now. Very nice. :-) I saw you mentioned cross-compiling bash - is there a thread on that? The quirks of BusyBox are getting old for me.

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
03-08-2011, 09:51 AM
(03-08-2011 09:47 AM)diamondsw Wrote:  I saw you mentioned cross-compiling bash - is there a thread on that? The quirks of BusyBox are getting old for me.

Maybe this would do? Smile
03-24-2011, 04:07 AM
Btw, a more refined HOWTO, and a ready to deploy version of bash 4.1 is available here: http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/bash-4-1
04-08-2011, 01:08 PM
(02-26-2011 03:23 AM)ricardo Wrote:  Anyway, as usual new version at the same url.

Ricardo- the above link is giving me a 404 (as of Apr 8)? I had tried previously the files at your excellent site http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/openssh-5-8p1 but it wouldn't work (cnxn refused) and had wanted to try an alternate install via dropbear as part of troubleshooting. The file on your site is dated 3/22 and this thread is 3/26 so I'm guessing I do indeed need this newer version, can you pm me with it or just update the one on your site? Thanks!
04-08-2011, 11:39 PM
(04-08-2011 01:08 PM)davedigerati Wrote:  
(02-26-2011 03:23 AM)ricardo Wrote:  Anyway, as usual new version at the same url.

Ricardo- the above link is giving me a 404 (as of Apr 8)? I had tried previously the files at your excellent site http://www.droboports.com/app-repository/openssh-5-8p1 but it wouldn't work (cnxn refused) and had wanted to try an alternate install via dropbear as part of troubleshooting. The file on your site is dated 3/22 and this thread is 3/26 so I'm guessing I do indeed need this newer version, can you pm me with it or just update the one on your site? Thanks!

Is this link not working for you? I just tried and it downloaded fine for me.

I removed the other one because it was an old version. The latest now resides at DroboPorts.
05-05-2011, 12:20 PM
This version of OpenSSH is officially deprecated due to a security update. The latest version can be found here.

I strongly recommend everyone to upgrade to the latest version and stop using this version.