Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Cross-compiling for DroboFS series: Getting the VM set up
10-28-2010, 06:56 PM
RE: Cross-compiling for DroboFS series: Getting the VM set up
(10-28-2010 01:29 PM)ricardo Wrote:  
(10-28-2010 11:49 AM)FlyBoyOz Wrote:  When attempting to step: # create /etc/schroot/chroot.d/drobofs, the DroboFS returns "Access Denied."

Permissions issue? chmod in order? I've followed the steps to that point meticulously, but can't seem to get past this.

I think you are confusing the Virtual Machine with the DroboFS. All the steps on that page are supposed to be done inside the VM, not on the DroboFS.

Also, keep in mind that 'cat' call should be a 'sudo cat', since you are trying to create a file in a root-owned directory.

Blah! Sorry... When I said "the DroboFS returns" I should have said, "Ubuntu returns." I tried doing the sudo in front of cat, but it still gave me the same error. Appreciate your help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2010, 04:08 AM
(10-28-2010 06:56 PM)FlyBoyOz Wrote:  Blah! Sorry... When I said "the DroboFS returns" I should have said, "Ubuntu returns." I tried doing the sudo in front of cat, but it still gave me the same error. Appreciate your help.

Happens to the best of us. Smile

Anyways, have you tried instead of using cat using a classic editor? For example, try this:
Code:
sudo pico /etc/schroot/chroot.d/drobofs

Then copy and paste this inside the file (don't forget to replace the corresponding users and groups):
Code:
[drobofs]
description=Ubuntu Intrepid for DroboApps on Drobo FS
location=/var/chroot/drobofs
priority=3
users=replace this with the username of the account you gave when installing ubuntu
groups=replace this with the group of the account you created when installing ubuntu (usually the same as the username)
root-groups=root
run-setup-scripts=true
run-exec-scripts=true

Does it still give your an "access denied" error?
10-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:Happens to the best of us. Smile

Anyways, have you tried instead of using cat using a classic editor? For example, try this:
Code:
sudo pico /etc/schroot/chroot.d/drobofs

Then copy and paste this inside the file (don't forget to replace the corresponding users and groups):
Code:
[drobofs]
description=Ubuntu Intrepid for DroboApps on Drobo FS
location=/var/chroot/drobofs
priority=3
users=replace this with the username of the account you gave when installing ubuntu
groups=replace this with the group of the account you created when installing ubuntu (usually the same as the username)
root-groups=root
run-setup-scripts=true
run-exec-scripts=true

Does it still give your an "access denied" error?

Thanks! This worked like a charm. I had no idea what I was doing with cat and the operators (whatever they're called). I would have just used vi if I had known this, lol.

Thanks again!
01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm getting the following error when entering
Code:
sudo debootstrap --variant=buildd --arch i386 intrepid /var/chroot/drobofs
Quote:E: Failed getting release file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/Release

It seems as though the intrepid release is no longer on the servers. Is it ok to use
Code:
sudo debootstrap --variant=buildd --arch i386 lucid /var/chroot/drobofs

I'm not sure what the differences are between the current Lucid command and Intrepid.
01-18-2011, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-18-2011 01:44 PM by vermontbiz.)
I'm having issues with this CFLAGS export.

Code:
export CFLAGS="-I/usr/arm/include -march=armv5te"

I keep receiving an error that says that -march is a bad variable. It's not preventing me from compiling or installing but when I try to run my compiled application on my Drobo it fails to run. Failing on a syntax error.
(01-10-2011 05:15 PM)bweb79 Wrote:  I'm getting the following error when entering
Code:
sudo debootstrap --variant=buildd --arch i386 intrepid /var/chroot/drobofs
Quote:E: Failed getting release file http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/intrepid/Release

It seems as though the intrepid release is no longer on the servers. Is it ok to use
Code:
sudo debootstrap --variant=buildd --arch i386 lucid /var/chroot/drobofs

I'm not sure what the differences are between the current Lucid command and Intrepid.

I set this up on 10.10 aka Maverick and had no problems. I just substituted maverick for intrepid.
01-19-2011, 07:29 AM
(01-18-2011 01:43 PM)vermontbiz Wrote:  I'm having issues with this CFLAGS export.

Code:
export CFLAGS="-I/usr/arm/include -march=armv5te"

I keep receiving an error that says that -march is a bad variable. It's not preventing me from compiling or installing but when I try to run my compiled application on my Drobo it fails to run. Failing on a syntax error.

This is most likely an application-specific problem. If "-march" is not recognized by the application makefile then the compiler will not know that it has to generate ARMv5 binary code, and will default to whatever you are running on (most likely Intel x86). That is why, although it compiles, it won't run on the Drobo.

If you want some help, please start a thread about the specific app you are trying to compile. This will help keeping this one only about the setting up of the VM.
01-20-2011, 09:48 AM
On step 8 I find it helpful to use the -h tar flag
Code:
cd /usr/arm
tar cjfhv ../arm.tar.bz2 .
All symbolic links are now file copies, but at least they are preserved somewhat.
01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:I set this up on 10.10 aka Maverick and had no problems. I just substituted maverick for intrepid.

Thanks Vermontbiz. I'm new to Linux and find my Drobo a great excuse to start leaning the command line. I'm taking this slow and learning as I go. Reading a great book too.

I guess my real question is "how important is it to use the Intrepid build?" Could using the newest Maverick build cause problems later?

I found a mirror that had the Intrepid build.
Code:
sudo debootstrap --variant=buildd --arch i386 lucid /var/chroot/drobofs http://astromirror.uchicago.edu/ubuntu/
03-16-2011, 04:42 PM
As an addendum to this tutorial, would it be possible to discuss how one would package the results into a nice self-contained DroboApp? I'd like to finish up work in the VM and have a simple bundle I can drop on my DroboApps share and be done with it - no root filesystem mucking involved.

Not sure if it's possible, but your OpenSSH DroboApp has given me hope. Wink

Drobo 5N | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO mSATA | 2 x 4TB Seagate, 3 x 4TB Hitachi | FS/EXT3 diskpack
Peak performance >100MBps read/write (based on FS disk pack, no jumbo frames, no SSD)
DroboPorts: Plex, Transmission, OpenSSH, NFS, nano, screen, bash
03-16-2011, 04:52 PM
(03-16-2011 04:42 PM)diamondsw Wrote:  As an addendum to this tutorial, would it be possible to discuss how one would package the results into a nice self-contained DroboApp? I'd like to finish up work in the VM and have a simple bundle I can drop on my DroboApps share and be done with it - no root filesystem mucking involved.

Not sure if it's possible, but your OpenSSH DroboApp has given me hope. Wink

Well, I have no official document from DRI, if that is what you are asking. I did basically study some of the other DroboApps to figure out what went where. A bit of digging inside the FS's initialization scripts helped too.

Unfortunately I'm a bit hurried at work this week. I'll see if I manage to scrap a few minutes to put something together.