Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
New Drobo Mini - First Impressions
11-04-2012, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 07:16 PM by crhendo.)
New Drobo Mini - First Impressions
My new Drobo Mini arrived this morning (Sydney, Australia) and I have to say that after about an hour of playing I can't help but be impressed. A summary of my thoughts is as follows:-

1. Setup time. About 3 minutes (only because it took me a while to find the knife for the packing tape Smile ). This is my first Drobo and the simplicity of setting this up was quite amazing. I have a number of NAS devices (mainly QNAP) and if somebody told me that I could insert 4 drives (Hitachi 5K1000, 6GB/s, 1TB), insert an mSATA drive (Crucial M4 128GB), turn it on, load Drobo Dashboard and format the drives in under 5 minutes I probably would have suggested they had been taking something. The Dashboard said that the format would take up to 5 minutes but it was finished in 10 seconds!

2. I don't really believe in benchmarks so I simply ran Black Magics free utility and left it running for about 10 minutes on the 4GB test. Writes were between 130MB/sec and 140MB/sec and reads were between 185MB/sec and 200MB/sec which is about what I expected for my 5400rpm disks. I ran Diskfire a couple of times on the 4GB test at 32kB block size and it came back with a summary speed of 115MB/sec (whatever that means!)

3. After running it for about an hour I found that the base ran quite hot with both fans running most of the time (although they are VERY quiet).

In summary, I am very happy with my purchase and now I need to put the device to work as my primary road warrior storage device (and probably report back in a few months).

Please don't ask me to run any more tests as this now moves into "production" status so I can earn some money to pay for it!

Great job Drobo! It is hard not to be impressed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2012, 07:07 AM
RE: New Drobo Mini - First Impressions
well done Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply