Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobos Mount on On One System, but Will Not Mount on A Different System
05-25-2017, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2017 09:03 AM by libsimpso.)
Drobos Mount on On One System, but Will Not Mount on A Different System
Hi,

I have 3 Drobo 5Ds, thunderbolt connected, that are often swapped between two apple computer systems.

I recently had one computer system, system #2, in the repair shop.

This morning all 3 Drobos quickly and successfully mount to system #1.

However, system #2, will not mount any of the three Drobos after safely ejecting from system #1.

When the thunderbolt cable is first plugged in to system #2, the Drobo does flash all green indicator lights, but then quickly resumes a normal, healthy light status.

All Drobos are up to date on firmware. Dashboard on both systems are also up to date.

I've tried the basic troubleshoots of swapping thunderbolt cables, restarting the computer, restarting the Drobo, unplugging the Drobo power cable, etc. Nothing has resulted in a successful thunderbolt Drobo mount on system #2.

System #2 will mount a USB connected Drobo. This of course is not a long-term solution. The Thunderbolt daisy chain is essential to our workflow.

As far as I can tell, system #2 was returned to us with the platform as it left.

Getting ready to a clean OS install on system #2. Out of other ideas.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks for your time and assistance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-25-2017, 01:50 PM
RE: Drobos Mount on On One System, but Will Not Mount on A Different System
Well problem solved by a startup disk clean wipe and OS re-install. No idea why thunderbolt wouldn't recognize. Just glad it's functional again without losing too much time.

(05-25-2017 08:56 AM)libsimpso Wrote:  Hi,

I have 3 Drobo 5Ds, thunderbolt connected, that are often swapped between two apple computer systems.

I recently had one computer system, system #2, in the repair shop.

This morning all 3 Drobos quickly and successfully mount to system #1.

However, system #2, will not mount any of the three Drobos after safely ejecting from system #1.

When the thunderbolt cable is first plugged in to system #2, the Drobo does flash all green indicator lights, but then quickly resumes a normal, healthy light status.

All Drobos are up to date on firmware. Dashboard on both systems are also up to date.

I've tried the basic troubleshoots of swapping thunderbolt cables, restarting the computer, restarting the Drobo, unplugging the Drobo power cable, etc. Nothing has resulted in a successful thunderbolt Drobo mount on system #2.

System #2 will mount a USB connected Drobo. This of course is not a long-term solution. The Thunderbolt daisy chain is essential to our workflow.

As far as I can tell, system #2 was returned to us with the platform as it left.

Getting ready to a clean OS install on system #2. Out of other ideas.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks for your time and assistance.
05-26-2017, 06:37 PM
RE: Drobos Mount on On One System, but Will Not Mount on A Different System
hi libsimpso,
it may be possible that the repair shop changed some settings or drivers, and that somehow affected thubderbolt, though its good that you got things working relatively quickly again and thanks for posting letting us know how you fixed it.

(btw i think it was Ferris Bueller's day off) Smile

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)