Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Win7 on vmware vs KVM issues.
05-24-2017, 11:46 AM
Win7 on vmware vs KVM issues.
Im running Debian 9 as my main os.
I have a Win 7 on vmware that connects fine with drobo.
Debian seems to be heading to using KVM as the preferred vm..anyways, Im slowly migrating over.
Anyways, the KVM image cant seem to find the drobo. I can ping it fine, but drobo tools just endlessly searches.
Ive tried completely disabling the windows firewall to no avail.

Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2017, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-24-2017 03:36 PM by Paul.)
RE: Win7 on vmware vs KVM issues.
hi ryan,
if i understood correctly, you are running debian, and this is passing a physical port connection (possibly usb, though not sure), through to the debian vmware program (which is running win7), and the win7 vm is able to locate the drobo and connect to it?

is there anything known about the way kvm manages connections, or how it passes a connection/bridge through to a contained vm, or any difference, that you can see which could help pinpoint what is going on?

i know on say a windows vmware program, sometimes if you set something up, and then want to change your mind, i think like adding a folder as a virtual shared network location, that the vm seemed to need to be stopped properly first, and then restarted, (rather than just being able to pause it, change something, and resume it)... is it possible that there is another type of suspend or full shutdown you might need to do, before changing a setting in kvm?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Sorry.

I have the drobo 5N. So this is all over the network. No usb or firewire or whatever.

My desktop os (Debian) can mount/ssh to it just fine.

I have a win 7 install in VMware running on my desktop and drobo dashboard works perfectly.

So at this point, I have to rule out any router firewall rules from the list of possibilities.

I have another win 7 install using KVM on the same machine. Drobo Dashboard cant find the drobo. I can ping it if I open a cmd window, but dashboard cant find it. I have all the identical settings in both versions of drobo dashboard. The only possible exception is I havent had a chance to put in the password in KVM since it has never found the drobo. I looked in the firewall settings and all the appropriate drobo exceptions seem to be there, but to be sure, I disabled the firewall entirely. No go.

Debian and VMware patch strategies are not compatible I guess. With Debian 9 they've said KVM is the supported VM going forward. Anyways, VMware works at the moment, but apparently might not some time in the future, so I have started migrating over and have both available for the time being. VMware has a shared folder feature that I find really handy that KVM doesnt. So I think I'd like to stay with VMware as long as possible, but I dont want to be hit with an emergency if it suddenly stops working one day.

(05-24-2017 03:35 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi ryan,
if i understood correctly, you are running debian, and this is passing a physical port connection (possibly usb, though not sure), through to the debian vmware program (which is running win7), and the win7 vm is able to locate the drobo and connect to it?

is there anything known about the way kvm manages connections, or how it passes a connection/bridge through to a contained vm, or any difference, that you can see which could help pinpoint what is going on?

i know on say a windows vmware program, sometimes if you set something up, and then want to change your mind, i think like adding a folder as a virtual shared network location, that the vm seemed to need to be stopped properly first, and then restarted, (rather than just being able to pause it, change something, and resume it)... is it possible that there is another type of suspend or full shutdown you might need to do, before changing a setting in kvm?
05-26-2017, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-2017 07:09 PM by Paul.)
thanks for the clarifications,
in the kvm win7 instance of dashboard, what happens if you try enabling or changing the settings there, regarding ip address and dhcp? (maybe if it was set to use an ip address specifically, changing it to automatic dhcp might help to find it?)

btw which version of dashboard is it?
there is some more info here too in case it helps:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Both just updated to the latest version today.

(05-26-2017 07:06 PM)Paul Wrote:  thanks for the clarifications,
in the kvm win7 instance of dashboard, what happens if you try enabling or changing the settings there, regarding ip address and dhcp? (maybe if it was set to use an ip address specifically, changing it to automatic dhcp might help to find it?)

btw which version of dashboard is it?
there is some more info here too in case it helps:
http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthr...http://www.drobospace.com/forums/showthread.php?