Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5C SLOW Read Speeds
05-25-2017, 07:35 AM
RE: Drobo 5C SLOW Read Speeds
(05-24-2017 03:28 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi carlvo,
can i check if you have constant writing to the drobo? if so, is there any way to try pausing any writing/copying to it, just to be able to try some reading tests if possible?

when you mentioned the highest read seeming to be about 12MB/s, can i check if this was on small files, or a large file? (usually smaller files will not be as efficient in most devices, than larger files).

as far as i know, each month your drobo will run some internal verifications (data scrubbing), which is in addition to the usual optimisation, and this seems to last for as long as a rebuild (at least on one of my Das drobos recently), which is about 1 day per 1TB of data (though longer if being is use)

(at the back of my mind, i seem to remember reading somewhere about purple drives as being good for constant writing (like on video camera footage), though not for simultaneous reading, though may be mistaken, but if you happen to have the model number of your model, it could be useful in trying to firm up any info about that drive?)

btw is is possible that there are some other programs using the drobo, such as mac spotlight, or window search indexing, taking place in the background, or possibly even some agressive antivirus scan schedules?

Thank you so much for your response. During testing, I have disabled all writing/reading to the Drobo. There is no reading or writing going on other than the test file. The test files I have tried are 1GB, 4GB, and 8GB, all with the same result in read speed.

The model number of the drives is: WD80PUZX. They show to have a 150MB/s sustained read rate, far above the rate I am getting. Another thing to note, I have taken one of the drives and put by itself in a cheap, $20 enclosure, and I achieve read rates over 85MB/s.

All antivirus has been turned off, there is no drive indexing going on, and nothing else to note going on that would otherwise "occupy" the Drobo.

Any further help or advice is appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Drobo 5C SLOW Read Speeds - carlvo - 05-24-2017, 05:41 AM
RE: Drobo 5C SLOW Read Speeds - Paul - 05-24-2017, 03:28 PM
RE: Drobo 5C SLOW Read Speeds - carlvo - 05-25-2017 07:35 AM
RE: Drobo 5C SLOW Read Speeds - Paul - 05-26-2017, 07:30 PM