Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Add a drive during data protection in progress
05-22-2017, 09:47 AM
Add a drive during data protection in progress
I have a B800i that says 'Data Protection is in progress' My question is can I add a new drive during this process or do I have to wait until the Data protection is finished.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2017, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2017 05:14 PM by Paul.)
RE: Add a drive during data protection in progress
hi rtr,
from some other posts seen on these board, it seems possible to add a new/blank/un-needed drive into an empty slot during this process, though i would suggest waiting to let it finish if posisble.

as it had been mentioned that it could cause the data protection process to start again from the beginning, it may be better to let at least some level of drive redundancy to complete and establish itself, such as SDR or DDR, before kickstarting another rebuild process.

on some of the older models, it usually took about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have on your drobo, to complete a rebuild, so if you do happen to not have to long to go, i would wait for this process to finsih, and get a stable state drobo again (ideally with all solid green lights) before adding another.
(also, if you do not specifically need another drive, you will also not encounter the usual slight performance hit which tends to take place in any nas as far as i know, when more and more drives are added)

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-23-2017, 07:16 AM
(05-22-2017 05:13 PM)Paul Wrote:  hi rtr,
from some other posts seen on these board, it seems possible to add a new/blank/un-needed drive into an empty slot during this process, though i would suggest waiting to let it finish if posisble.

as it had been mentioned that it could cause the data protection process to start again from the beginning, it may be better to let at least some level of drive redundancy to complete and establish itself, such as SDR or DDR, before kickstarting another rebuild process.

on some of the older models, it usually took about 1 day per 1TB of data that you have on your drobo, to complete a rebuild, so if you do happen to not have to long to go, i would wait for this process to finsih, and get a stable state drobo again (ideally with all solid green lights) before adding another.
(also, if you do not specifically need another drive, you will also not encounter the usual slight performance hit which tends to take place in any nas as far as i know, when more and more drives are added)
Paul,

Thank you for the reply. Based on your reply I think I will wait until the rebuild is complete.
05-24-2017, 03:38 PM
ah thanks rtr, please feel free to let us know how things turn out in the end for you when all your desired actions are complete.

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)