Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo keeps sleeping
05-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Question Drobo keeps sleeping
I acquired a Drobo B800i last year and have only really just got around to setting it up (we've moved office and now have a gigabit network with 2 available Ethernet Sockets).

I've installed Drobo Dashboard 2.6.2, as I believe this is the last version that supports iSCSI (If I upgrade it after installing 2.6.2, the newer version doesn't seem to find the Drobo, so always revert back to 2.6.2).

My biggest issue is Drobo keeps falling asleep after a while during a Time Machine Backup on my Mac. It tells me the drive has been removed without ejecting and that data can be lost if I do this. I then need to go down to the server room to wake it again. (switch it off and switch it on again), which is very frustrating.

I've unchecked the Drobo Setting that says spin the drives down if inactivity is detected, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I've also resorted to downloading a script (keep my drive spinning) which writes a file to another volume on Drobo every 5 minutes and then deletes it, in an attempt to keep Drobo running. It seems to work for a while longer, but after a while, Drobo prepares to bed down for the day.

I also sometime have problems with Dashboard actually finding Drobo on the network. It looks for around 5 minutes, but sometimes it just can't find it. Restarting my Mac sometimes fixes this problem.

I use an Apple Mac (10.8.5) and like I say, Drobo Dashboard is version 2.6.2

Any help would be very much appreciated as a device that keeps leaving the network for a snooze isn't much use to me. Sad

Best Regards
Gary
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2017, 06:28 PM
RE: Drobo keeps sleeping
hi gary,
can i check if you have been able to try 1 direct cable connecting your drobo to your main computer, and seeing if it still goes to have a snooze, (without having any other network devices in the mix as a test?)

also, if there is a way to do that, are you able to recheck any power saving settings on the computers, and also any other firewall settings, just in case something like an update, happened to change some settings, for example these steps might help too, especially if dashboard sometimes can not find it:
https://myproducts.drobo.com/article/AA-01820
(including step 9 and 10)

btw have you been able to also try another new cable, just in case the cable is affected in some way?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)
05-22-2017, 11:53 AM
Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your reply, I tried connecting my computer directly today and it seemed to be a lot more successful. I think I'll probably need to make up a new pair of Cat 6 patch leads to see if that resolves the problem.

Firewall is switched off, and the computer is set to never sleep BTW.

Hopefully that will resolve things. I'll resurrect this thread if it doesn't :-)

Many thanks for your help.
Gary
05-22-2017, 04:22 PM
ah ok no worries gary, hopefully things go ok for you

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)