Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Drobo 5c very slow performance
05-13-2017, 06:52 AM
Drobo 5c very slow performance
Hi guys,

Just want to ask you about the performance of the 5C.
I have 4x2tb and 1x1tb WD Red's inside the Drobo.

Performance with Blackmagic is around 80-120mb per sec read/write

This should be much higher isn't it?

Greets, Stefan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-14-2017, 10:35 AM
RE: Drobo 5c very slow performance
I just picked up a 5C as well and I'm getting around those speeds.

I've found with transfers from a single drive to the 5C was around 80-130mb. I'm currently working on transferring data from a 4 disk striped-mirror and I'm getting 130-200mb but I would say it hovers around 130-160 most of the time. Some say the speeds will change once the 5C has finished optimizing itself but I'm not at that stage yet.
05-14-2017, 12:40 PM
the drive is optimized a long time ago.. still not getting better speeds.. also tried to turn the usb-c cable but that gave me 30-40 mb ps speeds Sad
05-15-2017, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2017 05:47 PM by Paul.)
hi can i check if there are any other programs that might be also running in the background, on the computer, such as a virus scanner or a search catalog (like windows indexing, or mac spotlight)?

am just wondering if you might get better speeds if there are no other programs running (just as a test, including extra serivces) - for example, some programs also install a ton of extra un-necessary services (on windows) like mobile phone connectors, itunes, gaming utils for anti-cheating etc, which are pretty much only required when needed, and maybe some music-related services are trying to scan the drobo for media files to add to the index or something?

(btw i have XP home SP2, a Drobo v1 with 2x 1TB/2x 1.5TB WD greens, & a bkp Drobo v2 with the same + a DroboShare: unused)
& a DroboS v2 with 3xWD15EADS &2x1TB in DDR mode on win7, & a drobo5D (all usb)
  • btw i did a sustained (write) operation for about 6 hours, and got 13.2MB / sec ...objection? "sustained" :)
    (16.7MB/s on a v2 & 47-96MB/s drobo-s)